Radio for 2000 S40 will not turn on!!!

To all:

I own a 2000 S40 and just changed the battery. Manual indicates that the radio display should read CODE and then I put in my radio code.

However, the radio display is blank. The volvo dealership tells me to put the key in position one for 1-2 hours and the display will come on- but to no avail.

Now, a while back I took my car to a radio shop to get some speakers installed and had the same problem. The mechanic there told me that the volvo radio has codes and began pressing buttons trying different combinations to get CODE to display on the radio. Unfortunately he no longer works there.

Any chance anyone knows the combinations of buttons I need to press to get the Radio to display CODE?

Aaron

Reply to
defender

"defender" wrote

Did you push the power button? It won't say "code" until you turn it on. The two hours with the key (and radio) on routine is to reset it after entering an incorrect code. You shouldn't have to do that unless the display says "off" when you turn on the radio.

Reply to
Ernest Scribbler

The power button does not work- it never did. Prior to the battery replacement, I always just left the radio on.

Reply to
defender

in my v40 2000. code is 5323. my friend has 5313. when my cass was blocked, amd ask for CODE I have to go to the some service where man opened cass, unsold the eeprom, and read the CODE out of that. try that way if you know someone who can do that.

Reply to
Traktor

"defender" wrote

Well there's your problem. When you disconnected the battery, you turned it off. If the power button doesn't work, you can't turn it back on and you can't enter the code until you turn it on. If it was mine, I'd try to fix the power button.

Reply to
Ernest Scribbler

I would agree with you, except the alarm light goes on when the car is turned off its getting juice. Further, I was able, twice before to get to the CODE menu when pressing a unique combination of buttons on the radio when instructed by my former mechanic who cannot be found- he showed me that the volvo doors could be locked using the radio, that there was a "carjack" mode that turned on the alarm and locked the doors. I have since forgotten the combination of buttons on the radio that were pressed to get the CODE menu to come up.

Reply to
defender

"No, officer. I have not been drinking! I told you.. I was trying to find "Uncle John's Band" on the CD using the track scan and I hit a bump which caused me to accidently hit some buttons on the radio which shut off the motor and locked the doors and steering, turned on the alarm, and set off the air bags!" ;-)

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

"defender"wrote

That's normal. The anti-theft light always blinks when you shut the car off, regardless of whether the radio was on or off when you turned the key off.

I see nothing in the owners or service manuals about secret keypress combinations to turn the radio on when the power button doesn't work. If you find it again, I recommend writing it down.

That's not normal. I've heard of aftermarket alarm systems with such features, but it would be kind of silly to include a carjack mode as standard equipment and not tell anybody it's there. (Not that the Swedes don't do the occasional silly thing, mind you.)

The standard combination is one press of the power button. I swear.

Reply to
Ernest Scribbler

I've heard of combinations in the radio to do things as mentioned - diagnostic mainly. Would love to know what they are.

John

Ernest Scribbler wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

John:

I know I should've written down the code when I had the chance. But who knew? The manuals do not depict the codes I'm speaking of, and when I called the 800 number for volvo tech support the operator had no idea what I was talking about. I am afraid that when I take it to a local dealer they too, will say they never heard of the codes and will suggest buying a new radio- which I'm trying to avoid.

Defender

Reply to
defender

Oh, God... All I want is a car to get me from point A to poing B in relative comfort and safety...NOT the Concorde or the Space Shuttle! Jeeez, what did we do in out prior lives that was so bad for us to deserve not even being able to use a crummy radio after a battery change? Sheesh...I've just about HAD IT!