I'll agree 100%, with one addition. Use decent oil.Use heavy enough oil for the conditions. 5W20 is not heavy enough for high speed high temperature running. In ANY engine. I don't care what the manual says.

5W20 oil is for C.A.F.E. and notheing more. Extended oil changes are a product of consumer legislation - an engine must last through warranty on the reduced oil change schedule published.
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

There is NO COMBUSTION going on in your automatic transmission, the contaminations involved is orders of magnitude less...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

No combustion, but lots of friction and more wear than in an engine. The mechanism is also orders of magnatude more sensitive to contamination, with the clearances in the valve bodies being EXTREMELY close. Not as critical on today's electronic transmisssiona as on the old "hydraulic brain" but still critical.

There is also a LOT of heat involved, which causes oxidation of the fluid, just like combustion. You definitely have less acid production and dilution - but it is, as I have repeated several times, still CRITICAL.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I meant just once to see what it says. You would find it interesting regardless of the report.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I disagree on the magnitude.

Reply to
WindsorFox

OK, one order of magnitude...

After all many automatic transmissions go the life of the automobile they are in, often well over 100,000 miles and NEVER have their automatic transmission fluid changed. You cannot get away with that with the engine oil...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

" Here is the latest info... 5500 produced in 2008, they will be SRT8's only w the 6.1L hemi and AutoStick Transmission.

2009 they will have a 3.5L V6, 5.7L Hemi, and 6.1L Hemi w/ Optional 6-Speed Manual. Looks like it will be very close to the concept. Different wheels and a few small changes but overall it is pretty close."

Pictures and conjecture at:

Frank ess