oveheating 97 neon

Hello all, I am new here and hope to find an answer or two if possible. My 1997 dodge neon saga: I hope to get 1 or 2 more years out of her - please! The following repairs have been done: 2001: head gasket, water pump & timing belt. 2003, total overhaul of a/c system, 5 months ago: radiator fans, (total tune-up) and brakes and tires. It started overheating about 1 month ago but only when the a/c is engaged, we replaced the radiator, hoses, cap and thermostat also the accessory belt and whatever belt runs the power steering. The car runs fine regardless if city or highway - no overheating - but when the a/c is engaged within about

20 minutes it starts to edge up temperature wise. I am totally vexed, it does not leak fluid, the fans are wired to run whenever the engine is on, I have taken out the thermostat upon suggestion. Please help with some other suggestions and hopefully something will work.

Thank you...Anja

Reply to
anja

I had the exact same problem with my 97 DOHC Neon. It was the head gasket (AGAIN). It went out the 2nd time about 4 years after it was first replaced. BTW, the first head gasket wias replaced WITH the new style model. So much for new and improved.

Reply to
ZZ

If it were me I would put a new thermostat back in. The system was designed to work with one. Cant hurt to try.

Reply to
Philip Mc

I don't know about the Neons, but my Stratus runs the fans at a higher speed if the A/C is on. It does this by using the A/C's high side pressure sensor to detect when extra cooling is needed. It could be that by bypassing ECU control of radiator fan speed that has created an open circuit when the switched to high fan speed. Easy to test.

  1. With the car at an idle and the A/C off, pop the hood and verify the fans are running.
  2. Turn the A/C on and wait a few minutes for the A/C to get cold.
  3. Verify that the fans are still running.
Reply to
Gyzmologist