95 Neon Squealing Problem

Have a 95 Neon with about 115K on it. For the past month or so, when idling or braked, its been producing a loud high pitched squeal, similar to squealing tires. I don't believe its coming from the brakes, however. It happens sometimes when in park (whether my foot is on the brake or not) and often happens at a stop light after I've firmly stopped or just starting to hit the gas again. It gets even worse as I first start hitting the gas after stopping, but then goes away after I get up past about 10 mph. It seems to happen most of the time during cool damp conditions, almost always in the morning on the way to work, only happened once in the afternoon, and that was during a rainstorm. It seems to go away after warming up for about 10-15 minutes of driving. It hasn't seemed to have caused any problems with braking or speeding up (at least not yet), but is very annoying for me, and I'm sure the cars next to me also. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Reply to
Scott Henrichs

73blazer

Just had the timing belt replaced about 2000 miles ago, and at least the first 1000 miles I didn't have this problem (of course, that was during the summer when it was warmer). Or are you talking something else?

73blazer wrote:

Reply to
Scott Henrichs

The shop that did your timing belt didn't get one of the accessory drive belts tight enough. There are two on your car. One drives the A/C compressor (if you have one) and the power streering pump. The other drives the alternator. Try turning off the A/C and see if it stops. If not, it's probably teh alternator belt, which is working harder first thing in the morning when it's cool, right after you've tsarted the car, with the lights on, and the rear defroster....

Remember that the A/C is on when the heat selector is in defrost or defrost/floor mode regardless of where you have the fan switch.

I'll bet that's your problem. I have one in the driveway right now that's desperately in need of replacement belts and I can't drive around town right now with the A/C on and have any power steeering!

Jeff '95 neon SOHC auto. 143,000 miles and counting.

Reply to
Jeff and Kimberley Falkiner

Reply to
Scott Henrichs