PING: MAXPOWER or any good techs!

I recently bought a 97 grand caravan 3.8l automatic. I am having a stall in engine at cruesing speeds.

I worked as a nissan tech for ten years but I left the industry after this war started due to poor buisness volume.

I dont have access to a good scan tool and not much time on my hands. So any help would be apreciated.

I used the auto x-ray at O'reily's and found no active codes. I didn't have but a few minutes so I didn't get to learn more on this tool. Like does it have data monitore access? Will it read passed codes? What I do know is it acts like a bad coil pack or module. It just dies instantly and can restart instantly while coasting in nuetral. The only constant I have found is cruiesing, hi or low speed doesnt make a difference. It has done this many times a day and then go a day or to with no problems. It will do it with a hot or cold engine, hot or cold day, rain or shine. It dosen't get slugish and die it's an instant die. It will restart on it's on sometimes when at hiway speeds just because of the moment of the transmission I assume. I went to dodgeforum.com and found several TSB descriptions I found as possible relevancy but no access to read them, just a one or two line description of it's contents. I am takeing the weekend off to get to the bottom of this so a little steering in the right direction would be helpfull. I guess I will start with a wiggle test on the harnesses, but from there I just don't know. I don't have service manual yet! Are the FSM's available in electronic formate for 97 models?

Thanks,

SPAT

Reply to
SPAT

Since it doesnt slowly cut off we can probably say it isnt fuel pressue, and with a scan tool to monitor the inputs and outs of the sensor would be hard to determine what the cause is.

2 things that would be common on this vehicle are a crank/cam sensor (leaning more to the crank sensor or a PCM failure. Take and get the engine hot and tap on the PCM with a small hammer to see if the vehicle stutters or shuts down. A common problem is the heat sink inside the PCM because loose and shut down will occur.

Good luck

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech Maxpower

Reply to
damnnickname