1978 Dodge M600 Motorhome Chassis

I have just purchased a 1978 Travco 320 Motorhome. I believe it is a M600 Dodge motorhome chassis. It has a 440 engine. My question has to do with the power steering.

When i turn off the engine on the RV the power steering fluid starts to blow out at the top of the cap for the power steering reservoir. It does not leak while driving or engine running. Only when the vehicle is turned off.

Any ideas why it would do this. Oh, And it does it every time also.

Thanks

Reply to
holycow

A number of things come to mind. Filter, PS fluid cooling radiator (small finned thing), fluid needs changing, clogged hoses, low or overfilled resovier(sp?). My best guess is the resovoir is too full. Check when cold. There are probably two marks on the dipstick. One for hot and one for cold.

So what does your manual say?

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

There is no manual at all. I just order one the other day so hopefully I can get one in a week. The resoivoir is not over filled. I'll try flushing out the p.s system to see if it helps.

Reply to
holycow

I've got the M-400 chassis under an '81 Establishment (26') with the same drive train.

The P.Steer pump is a bear to get to, but do not overfill.

Make sure the belt is properly tightened.

If you have the hydraulic boosted brakes it supplies boost pressure for them also and because of the extra hydraulic lines, requires more fluid.

Check when cold ( so you don't burn yourself) and work all the air out of the system with some low speed (5 mph) full left and full right turns in a parking lot.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Howdy Budd. Good to see you're up and kicking.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Hi, my friend!

How are ya doing?

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Where ya' been ya' old fart? We wuz worried about ya'

MIke

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Been busy, what with selling the mobile home in Moab, fixing the RV, hauling stuff to Colorado and so on. Internet access wasn't as important

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Are you going to be living on the road now? That sounds interesting. What did you do with the skooter?

Reply to
TBone

Tom,

I still feel no need to discuss anything with you as you have made clear, we are not and will never be friends.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

replying to holycow, roche wrote: on my 1978 m600 holiday rambler someone had power steering fliud in the resivoir ,

my 1978 holidayrambler did that it had power steering fluid in it, it requires hydroboost fluid instead or synthetic steering fluid, changed it and problem solved, my fliud was also bubbley if this is the case don't buy it at parts store buy it at Walmart at half price your manual will say hydroboost fliud or steering fluid not power steering fluid used prestone Asian steering fluid at under 7 dallars for 12 ounces

Reply to
roche