1995 Dodge Ram - Cummins - Torque Converter Questions

Hello,

I have a problem that is slowly getting worse with my '95 Dodge-Cummins with automatic. About 8 months ago I noticed if I was really accelerating aggressively and then suddenly took my foot off of the gas something would slip for about 3 times in real fast succession and then everything would be OK. Today that is happening much easier with a new symptom showing up. if I tow a heavy boat, in this case about 9,000# as I get up to 50-55mph and the Overdrive starts to lock up, I am getting the same slippage. I have been hitting the switch to turn the OD off then waiting until I am at 60+mph and then turn the OD on with very little or no acceleration and the truck is ok with that.

Obviously this problem is not going to fix it self. So.....I went to the transmission shop down the street and he says that its the Torque Converter. he says I could just replace it for $500, but with the truck having 165k on it I should get the whole transmission remanufactured for which he charges $1600. The boat is put away for the winter as is the 5th wheel, so I don't have to panic in fixing this truck as I don't need it until next spring. I would like to make a quality decision on how to handle this. I am 6 years from retiring and use the truck maybe 6,000 miles a year. I was planning on getting a newer truck in 4 years.

Any thoughts or comments about any part of this missive would be appreciated. Thanks for the help....dave

Reply to
OlWagonmaster

If that is all that is wrong with your truck I'd pay the 1,600 to rebuild it and drive for it 4yrs. Cummins engines don't need to be overhauled until

Reply to
Jay