1996 2500 laramieSLT Violent shakes

This is driving everyone crazy. Three different shops and the dealership can't figure it out. When I hit a bump at highway speed, the whole truck starts shacking like a wheel coming off. Has anyone had this trouble before??

Reply to
Shawn Russell

Yes. It's called the "death wobble" (for obvious reasons), and is usually caused by a worn track bar ball joint, at the frame end. You can verify this by running the engine, and having someone turn the wheels lock to lock while you observe the joint. There should be NO movement at all - ANY movement indicates a worn joint, and is the cause of the shake (the track bar is what prevents side-to-side movement of the front axle). Repairs include a new stock bar, a new aftermarket bar (Moog makes one), replacement joints from Lindstad or Luke's Link, or a replacement bar from DT Profab.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

thank you...I did have work done and they changed that bar, but it looks like it is moving when I tested it. I'll take it back to the shop.

Reply to
Shawn Russell