CHEVY SILVERADO antifreeze leak

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my truck(98 Chevy Silverado with

5.7) that I can't figure out, but every indication leads to the intake gasket. Every time I start my truck, antifreeze is pouring, not leaking, out. It is coming off the starter, but I'm sure it is coming from above, just can't see it. Probably running down the back of the block. I have had to add about a gallon every oil change, never had a leak, could never seem to find where it was going. Has anyone had any problem such as this, the research I have done on this truck seems to be there is a problem with the intake gasket. Unless there is something I am missing, any help would be appreciated.
Reply to
72blazer

Have you taken it to a MIDAS OR somewhere just for a free estimate?

Reply to
funkfreedom

Inspection mirror on a telescoping rod, as it warms up after a cold start you will see it leak. It's a known issue with the 5.7 Get on it because it can leak coolant into the oil and that will hose the motor bearings in a most silent and deadly manner.

Reply to
Repairman

Reply to
72blazer
5.7) that I can't figure out, but every indication leads to the intake gasket. Every time I start my truck, antifreeze is pouring, not leaking, out. It is coming off the starter, but I'm sure it is coming from above, just can't see it. Probably running down the back of the block. I have had to add about a gallon every oil change, never had a leak, could never seem to find where it was going. Has anyone had any problem such as this, the research I have done on this truck seems to be there is a problem with the intake gasket. Unless there is something I am missing, any help would be appreciated.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Before you tear into anything, check above the starter for a freeze plug. I had one that rusted out on an older 5.7 and it acted just as you describe.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B