1997 dodge ram 1500 4 x4

hi there, the u joint on my 4 wheel drive is going out. a mechanic told me there is a bearing there that can rarely be removed and re-used because of such a close fit tolerance. cost of a new bearing is $250.00 to $300.00. does anyone know how to remove this bearing so it can be used again? thanks for all your help!!!

Reply to
mrfunseeker51

Are you talking about the front axle Ujoints and the wheel bearing? If so it can be reused "IF" you have the correct tools. Time to look for another mech if they feel that the defacto standard is to replace bearing all the time because the could be just another way to make more profit on job from mark up on extra parts.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

hey SnoMan and others.........it is the front axle U joint. thanks

Reply to
mrfunseeker51

Yes. First, lots of penetrating oil. Secondly, back off the hub-to-knuckle bolts (in a 1500, there's three of 'em - 14mm 12-point bolts on the back side of the hub) about 1/8", and smack them in order with a 2lb. sledge, repeatedly. You're using the bolts to "press" the hub out of the knuckle. When the bolts bottom out, back off a little bit more, and repeat, until the hub is loose.

Tell your mechanic to put his big hub puller and 3/4" impact gun away and take a little bit of time - he'll save a lot more innocent hub bearings that way. I destroyed one hub this way once - never destroyed another one with the above method.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

The sad thing is if Dodge had ketp the old tried and trued splindle design that was common on front solid axles on 4x4's it would not be a problem. That hub is a through back for a design Dodge used in 70's with fulltime 4x4 and they use it because to is cheaper and gives they more wheel design options with 1/2 trucks. It is not user freindly to repair at all.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Blah, blah, blah The same useless BS.