2000 Dodge Dakota

Hi,

I hope someone can help. My husband needs to replace the rear brake shoes. He has a mechanic friend who will do the work. In trying to purchase the new shoes, he is asked if he needs a 9 or 11. How do you find out the right size.

Any info greatly appreciated, by post or e-mail.

Thanks in advance!

--Marie

"To Everything There Is A Season...

Reply to
grandmanini44

Guys always add a couple when asked about size, go with the 9.

Reply to
Dave Lee

It depends on what axle the truck has. The easiest thing to do is measure it. If you can take the wheel off, just measure the diameter of the brake drum. If the outside dimension is a little over 10", that's a 9" drum. If it's just over 12", that's an 11" drum.

If you can't take the wheel off, you can measure the gap betwen the drum and the wheel (crawl under the truck, and look at the back of the wheel). The wheel is 15" in diameter, so if you have a 9" drum, you'll have just over 2" between the drum and the wheel. If you have about an inch and a half, that's an 11" drum.

The third option is just buy both sets of shoes, and return the one that's the wrong size.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks guys for your responses. My spouse says he will remove the wheel and measure.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.