48 RE DESIGNED TO FAIL???

I found this in another forum:
---------------------------
48 RE DESIGNED TO FAIL???
I have been building transmissions for over 25 years and the 48 RE
transmission is definitely stronger that the 47RE as a lot of improvements have been made. However, I am not impressed. We are already seeing failures in the 48 RE's. A $7 part is going to cost you guys by the time the dust settles if you are off your OEM warranty over $2000.
As a transmission technician I have to wonder what were these guys thinking. The guys that design these transmissions are at the top of their field, you wont find any better. This is not a mistake they would make. Someone had to make the decision to engineer this change into this transmission. It is reasonable to assume that if I can for see the damage the lack of lubrication will cause these guys must also know it. .
So, why the sudden change? The existing design of this particular OEM component was not failing. Its design has been around longer than I have been building transmissions.
It makes sense that if you have a problem with a certain part of the transmission you change it. So again one has to wonder why the sudden change???
Please keep in mind this post is not intended to slam the 48RE as they have had vast improvements made to them. This is not even an expensive parts fix, the most important thing here is for the consumer to make sure that the shop and the technician doing the modification has the required expertise to fix it, or at least they are aware of it before they do the job so you have the opportunity to choose which way you wish to go.
Here is why I do not like the new design and why it is causing the damage I am seeing.
Basically the thrust washer is starving itself for oil. What Chrysler did is they drilled 6 holes at 120 thou in the rear annulus gear. What this allows to happen is as the planetary gear rotates the oil is forced out at a faster rate because it is fed by a single hole less than 60thou.
To put it simply, there is not enough oil to lubricate the thrust washer that separates the rear planetary gear and the rear annulus gear.
To fix this requires a skilled professional, about 2 hours labor once the transmission is out and on the bench and the valve body has been removed.
The way the transmission is designed now all I can say is that the approx. life is about 50 thousand miles before you are going to start seeing rear planetary, rear annulus gear and rear thrust washer failure. As we have not done a 48 in our personal shop with over 20,000 miles, the ones we have been doing are definitely showing signs of thrust washer damage already. However my dealer base, general consumers and even other vendor shops have been contacting us for assistance with this issue. I will repeat the advice that I have given them to you guys, it does not matter if your transmission vendor of choice is XY or Z, if the transmission is already out when you are doing the TC &VB, make the change then. The OEM part # for the thrust washer is 52854039AA. It's about a $ 6 from your dealership. Chances are your transmission guy will not have this part in his inventory so if you have it with you it could save you a couple of days.
While it would definitely be in my best interest to not inform everyone in such a public forum, as I know my competitors do read this forum, I feel it is an important enough issue to bring to the general consumers attention.
http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?tG3
With pictures

written by bill koonaday (sp?) of dtt in washington, when the 48re was first out. he has turned out to be wrong so far.

Is this a manual or automagic transmission. I have the 6-speed in my '06 Ram 2500 Diesel. Is this what I have in my truck ??

IIRC, you have the Aisin 6 spd.
--
Max

Is that Aisin, as in the Aisin locking hubs I had on my old Toyota 4x4 P/U?
Very likely. The company has a decent reputaion in transmissions.
--
Max

If he has a chassis-cab truck, then yes. If it's a regular pickup, with the 6.7L engine, then it's the 68RFE

I assumed he had a manual shift, which I thought was Aisin. Now I recall the AT in the CC's is Aisin. What are they using now, a Getrag?
I pine for the good old days when one trans was good enough.....
Either way, his trans is not the 48RE.
--
Max

There was a time when Chysler had one of the finest automatic trannies out there. They seem to have lost focus in this area but they are not fully alone with this problem either. It all seem to be related to cost and cutting corners with them to save money when it should be one of the last areas you cut corners. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

You are aware of course, that the 46,47,48R* transmissions are the "finest automatic trannies" with an OD unit bolted to the rear of the case, right?
--
Max

They use a Getrag in the 1500's, and a Benz-sourced G56 (lots of confusion when they first came out - people assumed the 'G' in G56 meant Getrag) in the 2500/3500's.

Yeah... the Aisin thing came about because Chrysler REALLY wanted to offer a 6spd auto with their newly-re-introduced chassis cabs, but the 48RFE just wasn't quite ready, and it didn't have PTO capability to boot - something that's highly desired on a chassis cab.

Bill is an alarmist... nothing more to it. Contrary to his predictions, 48RE's did not die by the thousands. He posted that over 3 years ago - where's the pile of blown transmissions?

Hmmmmmm? Maybe the engineers ain't so dumb after all?
;^)
Mike
BTW, I read this when it was first posted and I contacted a guy I know at the Kokomo transmission plant and asked him about it. He had seen it also, and he told me then, not to lose any sleep over it..... so I didn't.... and I haven't.....

Site Timeline