5.9 L V8 3500 Dodge Engine Problem

I have a 2001 3500 Dodge Van with a 5.9 L V8 engine that has worried me with an intermittent problem. I use it to tow my desert race truck and fear that it is going to leave me stranded some time.

On two occasions in the desert, I have tried to start the engine and it would only idle. When I would try to accelerate the engine would die. I tried several times to restart it both in park and neutral. The first time this occurred it eventually started and ran fine. On the second occasion, the battery had gone dead and was being jumped from another vehicle. Several times it started and idled, but died when I pressed the accelerator. It finally started and I could gradually accelerate and then it was ok to drive.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas for check points are appreciated.

Jim

Reply to
Bob Fay

do a complete tuneup and replace the fuel filter. if this doesn't help take it to a dealership and have the codes read or buy a code reader.

bryon

Reply to
mongomopar

How old's the battery? You didn't do it any favors by draining it. Have it load-tested, and replace it if it's even suspect. Start with the simple stuff...

You can check for any stored codes by cycling the ignition key three times from OFF to ON. They'll display on the odometer, though I wouldn't think there would be any. Doesn't hurt to check.

As far as the fuel filter.... better to just check the presure at the fuel rail first if you suspect a fuel delivery problem. Much easier than dropping the tank and removing the fuel pump module to see that, in all likelihood, the filter screen is just fine.

Is it safe to assume that the rest of the maintnance has been kept up with? Plugs, cap, and rotor changed at around 30K intervals? Wires changed around

60K? Throttle body cleaned at least once?
Reply to
Tom Lawrence