'73 Dodge van - rubber bands for brakes?

Hello all!

I'm doing the front disc brakes on a '73 Dodge Tradesman 300 (1 ton) van. It has the 3300 pound, 8 lug front axle. I bought rebuilt calipers (A1 Cardone) which turned out to be real Chrysler, or at least a good enough knockoff that they copied the logo and everything. Each caliper came with a kit of small parts. I got new copper washers for the brake line, new retainer clips (the rectangular things about 1" x 3" that hold the caliper to the adapter), new anti-rattle springs (vaguely triangular, about 1" on the wide side, that go in the middle of the retainer clips), and new bolts for the retainer clips and anti-rattle springs. I know where all that stuff goes.

In the small parts kit, there were also two small rubber bands. They are black, maybe 1/8" wide and maybe 4" long unstretched. They were folded into an oval shape in the package. The calipers came with the piston assembled and the dust boot on, so I don't think they are any kind of a seal that I need to install. As well as I can figure, they might be used to hold the brake pads into the caliper while one is moving the caliper into position on the adapter. The pads don't have the clips on the back of them that snap into the piston, like some other makes do. I don't think the rubber bands are meant to stay on the car. Neither Haynes, the original Dodge service manual (scanned to CD-ROM), or the install sheet that came with the calipers mentions anything about these. Is there some vital function for these rubber bands, or are they just an installation aid?

Here's a tip... at least one vendor lists two different inner grease seals. One is described as being for the 8-lug front axle and costs around $10. The other is described as being for the 3300 pound front axle and costs around $3. The data plate on the van says it has a 3300 pound front axle, but the wheels have 8 lugs. I tried the $10 seal and its diameter was about 1/2" too big. It had the common U-shaped cross section. The $3 one turned out to be the right seal. This one has the usual U-shaped cross section, but also has another rubber collar coming off of the bottom of the U. In other words, the cross section is approximately:

Of course, if I had the old part in hand when I went to the store, I would have caught this.

Matt Roberds

PS This is the same van I posted about the steering a while back. It went to the mechanic and got a rebuilt steering box, new ball joints, etc. It turns a lot better now.

Reply to
mroberds

Never did figure out what they ware for, but I got done with the brake job and tested it around town and on the freeway and it stops well. (It should... one of the old front calipers was completely frozen!) The van has just been on a trip from Oklahoma to Indiana and performed well, so I guess the rubber bands aren't vital.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds