98 dodge dakota 90k 5.2l A/T

i have an 1998 dodge dakota v8 5.2L with an automatic transmission and when i was driving normally the trans temp and o/d off lights come on on the dash. there is fluid in the tranny. when it was running it lost the Drive gear including 1-3 it would just rev up but reverse worked. not sure what is going on maybe torque converter? or something. hoping its not the tranny. any suggestions? help please!!!!!!! Dodge trannys sux!!

Reply to
evanb

The temp light came on because the fluid got too hot. The OD light came on becasue the computer locked out OD due to the excessive temperatures.

How black is it? How long since it, and the filter, have been changed?

Never good...

Most likely something. It's not the torque converter, as you said reverse works. I'd say the most likely explanation is that you burned up your rear clutch. It could be other causes (blown seal, valve body malfunction), but something's causing the rear clutch to not engage. It could also be a busted front planetary, but that's a hard part, and pretty unlikely unless you were using the truck for sled pulling competitions or some other such abuse. At a minimum, you need to drop the pan and see what kind of junk is in there. I'm betting you're going to find a good amount of metal shavings and clutch material.

I hate to say it, but I think you just bought yourself a rebuild.

That's helpful....

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

"evanb" wrote: [snip]

You'll get more flies with honey than with vinegar. Tom must have a thick skin; kudos to him for resisting responding in kind. His advice was right on the mark; I concur. Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

yeah once i started thinking about it i think that the filter might be clauged. the fluid is red on the dip stick, the filter or fluid hast been changed, so tomorrow im gonna drop the pan n see what i can find thanks alot tom!

Reply to
evanb