Another edition of, "what is that noise"?

This noise actually started when the truck's transfer case was rebuilt (but only a needle bearing replaced), the front drive shaft replaced, and the lower (I think) ball bearings replaced. Tires rotated, oil change.

I blew it off as new noise due to new parts, but since it's gotten worse, I no longer think that's the case.

It's definitely something going with whatever parts turn with the wheels. Most pronounced when turning right, it's a whumpa-whumpa-whumpa, same rhythm as a rock in the tread might make, and similar to the sound I've heard large-tread 4x4 truck tires make - except I've had these tires for a couple of years and they never made the noise until now.

When truck is first moving forward from a cold start, can hear the noise on the straight, gradually fades, but I think there's a high whine that wasn't there before.

Has made the noise turning left too, but definitely more pronounced turning right, even if it's a gradual turn.

So, what are we looking at this time?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Lack of chocolate chip cookies........

Denny

Reply to
Denny

The "high pitched whine" is the friggin rabbit.

I'd be looking at the transfer case as that's when it started. Take it back to those folks and let them straighten it out.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Really? If I feed my truck cookies, it'll run better? Whodaknown?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

First, my cookies have not yet arrived... This is the most important part of any diagnostic step!

Second, one 'whumpa' per tire revolution, or more than one?

Reply to
PeterD

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (5/11/2010 3:51 PM):

He's whinin' 'cause the cookies I send him keep getting lost in the mail. Or, at least, that's what he says....

I'm more worried about the wonkawonkawonka noise, as it's quite pronounced on the right turns.

Did some research:

  1. Boss (car guy) says perhaps there's some cupping in a tire, now that it's moved to the front from the back, it's making noise. This seems consistent. Can cupping be on the sidewall though? It's wet so I haven't checked yet, but I did note a slight dent in the sidewall up near the tread, on the front right tire.

  1. Wheel bearings? Is this right? If I jack it up and can wiggle the wheel, it's the bearings... but is that move the wheel with a small woman's strength, or does it take a strong person to check this?

  2. Alignment

  1. Wheel balance?

I can't quite figure out where the sound is coming from though, it seems more center forward than right or left, which would tend to lend credence to your suggestion.

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (5/11/2010 5:18 PM):

Seems to be just one.

You didn't get them? Darnned post office!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Ya gotta tell the whole story!

Put the tires back where they were and see if the noise goes away.

Cupping in bad cases can kinda creep off the edge of the thread so it looks like it's the sidewall, sorta.

The rabbit whine will never go away. Trust me on that.

Reply to
Roy

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (5/11/2010 6:09 PM):

I had a few minutes this morning so at least got the post out there - then found some time to research lately.

Swapping the tires back is certainly an option, but then what, if it works? I don't rotate any more? I can't afford new tires - these have only a few thousand miles on them.

It's been a hellacious week, the stupid truck noise is just the pudding on the cake (or something like that).

jmc

Reply to
jmc

The tires shouldn't be cupped at a few thousand miles. Imo that's a tire alignment/balance issue. If you get that one off the right front and the noise stops then replace the cupped tire, but first fix what caused the cupping.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (5/11/2010 7:53 PM):

I must be getting old (no comments please, it's not polite ). I checked, they were replaced back in 2005! (egads, that long ago?) So they've got about 35,000 miles - Michelin LTX M&S so they hardly show any wear at all. Sorry about that. They did go about 10k without a rotation, I generally rotate every 5k but missed the one before this one.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

This is a solid axle front end correct? Could be the U-joint at the end of the axle. Would explain the chunking sound.

Reply to
Steve W.

I had a similar noise on my XJ with a bad set of wheel bearings on the right front.

On the 88 XJ's it's a catridge setup ( preassembled unit) that is also the front spindle.

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

If they are cupped to the point of being that noisy, you can usually "feel" the cupping with your hand. Run your hand around the outer edge of the tire. It should be smooth. If the trailing edge of the sipes seem noticeably higher than the leading edge or scalloping is visible in the tread, you have cupping. Rotating will confirm this if the noise changes locations.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

That with the other posts makes me think you have a bad tire. Any chance you hit something and broke some plies? I'd rotate (back) as suggested and see what happens.

I'll bitch to Judy the mail-lady...

Reply to
PeterD

2001 Dodge Dakota - yea, solid front axle.

hmmm. Back when I had another problem, I thought it might be a u-joint but they said they were fine. I'm sorta losing faith in my mechanics though.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Mike Simmons exclaimed (5/12/2010 4:43 AM):

Yea, my boss recommended I feel up my tires - I did kinda last night and couldn't feel anything obvious at the tread edges on the outside, or the bit of the inside I tried. Been wet here, and I was at work, so I didn't want to get too messy :).

If it is the tires, I think it's the left front. Given that the noise is only when turning right, should I concentrate on the outside edge of the tire, or inside edge? Guessing inside.

Rotating would definitely give me a clue. Sometimes I'm sure it's road noise, and sometimes I'm sure it sounds like something metal whirring off-center, or with a defect (if that makes sense)

I'm getting real tired of fixing my beloved old truck though. I've actually been considering an upgrade to a Ram 1500 or defecting totally and getting a Ford F150.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

When my front axle u-joints failed (totally) they only made noise when in 4x4 until they were almost falling apart, then they'd get noisy when turning.

If they are terribly bad (you should be able to see it, I could: rust, and later clear gaps and play visible even with a quick visual inspection) a turn will give noise. But IIRC, it was two thunka's per revolution in my case.

Reply to
PeterD

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (5/11/2010 10:06 AM):

Grrr, and now it's juddering when I apply the brakes hard. I mean, like I've suddenly hit a patch of washboard road or bad gravel - not pulsing. I assume the drums have warped (they only turned, didn't replace, after my brakes fried), but can warping happen so suddenly?

I'm looking for a new auto shop.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

New shop is good... What they probably didn't do was to radius the shoes. Now the shoes have worn into the same (approximate) radius that the machined drum has, they are creating the shudder.

I doubt they are warped (but they could be, you'd have to measure them), but you probably should re-do the entire job, new drums, new shoes, with someone who knows how to do drum brakes (some shopes don't understand them anymore!)

It is also possible that they machined them too much, and that would allow them to warp more quickly. Also possible is a cracked brake drum, that will cause similar symptoms as the crack opens and closes with brake application.

Reply to
PeterD