Engine noise on hard acceleration

Ok here is what is going on. On a hard acceleration uphill, there is an intermitant rattle noise coming from either the driver side or the front of my motor. I have a '99 Ram 1500 4x4 with an 5.8L (119k), extended cab short bed. I am wondering if it is a crankcase sensor or maybe the timing chain (hasn't been replaced yet)? Does anyone have any ideas on other things to check on?

Reply to
rogers_chris76

Try premium gas.

Reply to
Nosey

I also forgot that my truck is sluggish off the line, even without the nosie. Also when the noise is there, it is between 2300 and 3500 rpm.

Reply to
rogers_chris76

Noise travels. Could be your cat.

Reply to
Roy

Sounds like a classic ping caused by bad or too low octane fuel.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Medlin

from experience. check the catalytic converter. mine always sound like there is som kind of trouble with the engine then i start losing power. the good thing is that old converters are worth cash now. michael

Reply to
nunya

You may want to check this service bulletin. Fixed my ping problem on a '99

5.2.
GordG

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

could also be the plenum pan gasket. sucking oil out of the crankcase causing a detonation event. (spark knock)

Reply to
Christopher D. Thompson