Herds of crickets!

A little while back, the truck started making a little noise when backing up - like a cricket, just a couple of peeps, then nothing.

Then, I started noticing the noise occasionally, but only when the truck window was open. Now I can hear it with the window is closed - it sounds very much like crickets, and is coming from the rearend somewheres, I think. It's not in the suspension or similar, since it doesn't react to road bumps. It doesn't seem to be varying according to speed, but that's a bit hard to tell 'cause it's buried by road/engine noise fairly quickly as I speed up.

Truck behaves fine, but the crickets are really annoying me. Sounds like something needs to be greased or sommat, but what?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

If it is related to vehicle speed, I bet univeral joints.

Reply to
BigIronRam

You need to lube the anti-chciketing joint. Without lube it gets all hot and throbs, making a cricket noise. Dodge has it in their parts department, just ask for it by name.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

i bet you get yours at the same time you get your blinker fluid from the dealer....

real helpful!

now as far as JMC's question, my guess would be in line with BigIronRam's ive seen u joints start making a cricket type chirp i would check that first.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

How are your rear brakes? Could be the wear indicator. HD

Reply to
HoDad

Suddenly, without warning, HoDad exclaimed (27-Oct-06 8:24 AM):

No, thought of that. Doesn't appear to be the problem. Probably should have it rechecked though.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, BigIronRam exclaimed (26-Oct-06 10:01 PM):

Thanks. Part doesn't seem to be terribly expensive, but what's the general labor cost for replacement? How many do I need? Doesn't look to be a part a newbie like myself can replace.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

You will need universal knowledge and a universal tool. Both can be had at the dealer. Just ask for them by name.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

also the same place he gets his motor mount air valves from

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Suddenly, without warning, Scott Hendryx exclaimed (27-Oct-06 5:55 PM):

another universally unhelpful answer. I imagine you think you're being funny... but don't quit your day job :)

I thought I'd have to go to a library (or the Internet) for universal knowledge. Whoda thunk I could just ask a mechanic?

(yea, I know, I'm not quitting my day job either...)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

It's hard to say anymore. I think shop labor shouldn't be more than 1.5 hours? Mike probaby knows the flat rate for this. Then factor in whatever the labor rate in your area may be, add the parts, markup and tax.

I have a good drivetrain shop here in town, I just pull the driveshaft, hand it to them and ten minutes and about $50.00 later I'm on my way. They say they install for "free" but their parts are twice the parts store amount. I won't fool with them when they do them so cheap and I'm so inept with them.

Reply to
BigIronRam

But you tried, not very hard, but you tried.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx