K & N Filter --- worth it??

but you wouldn't say that you would say 3 cents is 50% more than 2 cents

Reply to
Bryan

No, I would.

Reply to
Nosey

then you would be,,,, ummm.....wrong

Reply to
Bryan

Why?

Reply to
Nosey

ummm now you are confusing me.

my point was that you wouldn't say 3 cents is 50 cents more than 2 cents.

you would say 3 cents is 50% more than 2 cents

Reply to
Bryan

You are arguing apples and oranges. It lets in 50% more than THE OTHER FILTER and 1% more in TOTAL VOLUME. I really don't give a damn what it lets in compared to the other filter unless the other filter is compatible with it in all other properties.AND I know what the other filter is letting in My only real concern is what it passes in total volume and if that amount is within the engines filter specifications.

Reply to
TBone

That is what I have been saying all along.

The cents are parts of a dollar, but they are presented as whole numbers and compared as a percentage of each other. I have no problem with that. When you try to compare percentages of something, the % symbol expresses a portion of the whole where it is first used, for the entire statment.

3 is 50% more than 2. 3% is 1% more than 2%.
Reply to
Nosey

no

saying that '3 is 50% more than 2' is imprecise

instead, say that '3 is fifty percent LARGER than 2'

and yes, 3 % is 1 % more than 2 %

'more than' indicates that all numbers in a statement are in the same units; subtraction in other words

'larger than' indicates that a comparison has been made; usually by way of a ratio

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Yep. Because it allows too much dirt through.

Reply to
miles

50 % more than an OEM

(BFG)

Reply to
TranSurgeon

i would say that 3 cents is one penny more than 2 cents. then i would say that it isn't enough to make a difference.

Reply to
the guy

I can live with that. Wholly shit, we agree on something! Or shoud that be we agree about something?

Reply to
Nosey

holy f*ing shit ! how about 'we agree amongst ourselves about something' ?

now...........................can you explain the concept to BoneHeaD ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Yawn... I understand the concept and never said that it was mathematically wrong. What I said was that it was FUZZY math because you were using it to make the K&N look much worse than it really is and you know it. And BTW, many times you did say the K&N lets in 150% MORE dirt which I pointed out was every way wrong. Although you tried to hide you mistake behind semantics, I see that you are now careful not to make that mistake anymore so at least you are capable of learning something.

Reply to
TBone

kewl, gotcha.

Reply to
Bryan

there's nothing 'fuzzy' about 3% / 2% = 150%

Reply to
TranSurgeon

mathematically

LOL, sure it is. You are playing on the efficiency of the two filters which makes even a slight difference seem like a big deal, even when it really isn't. The fact that you keep saying it this way when it is clear that you don't like K&N more than shows your true intent but hey, I don't own any stock in K&N so knock yourself out. The only down side is that it really doesn't do much for your credibility.

Reply to
TBone

no it's not

the math is not at all 'fuzzy'

dig out that 5th grade arithmetic book and study a bit

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Keep comparing apples to oranges Gary, it's the only chance you got. I never said that the math was wrong. I said that you were when you were claiming 150% MORE dirt and that percentages are fuzzy by definition since they don't really stand for anything in particular. They are nothing but relationships between two other values and can be based on anything, including other percentages. They can also very easily be used to give a distorted view of a subject like you are doing here. Do what you want dude, I'm done with this thread.

Reply to
TBone

if the math is not wrong, how can it be fuzzy ?

and you oobviously can't comprehend the values involved

there's nothing distorted

a K$N passes 50% more dirt than an OEM

go ahead and bail out, loser

come back when: 1) you understand basic math; or 2) you want your butt kicked again

Reply to
TranSurgeon