New Ford Heavy Duty w/twin turbos?

Hmmmm I guess it is all in what you tell DTT what you are using the truck for. I had one of their transmissions and converter in my 2K. But I also told them it was going to plow and tow a bit with it. It worked real well.

Reply to
Roy

They were talking '07's so I guess it's the twin turbo model? One thing about hanging around those places, you either get really good info or it's totally whacked out, not much in between. This one seemed on the level else I wouldn't have passed it on. I hope it's either not true or it's exaggerated.

Reply to
BigIronRam

What better?

It also has the "SmartController" tha goes along with it, and I alterd nothing.

Reply to
GeekBoy

The guy who owned it pulled th wheel travel trailer. And towing perforance works very well.

Reply to
GeekBoy

No. I have a DTT "SmartController" I activate while towing which allows for longer shift times, etc. I was talking about a heavy load from a full stop going up a 10% (or more) incline.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I've heard of this problem with the automatic V10 Dodges too. Can't get the RPM up enough to pull. My 6 speed 04 and 5 speed 92 will start very heavy loads. No need to rev up the engine. 5.6 to 1 first gear :)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Strange that Tom has not heard of this. Goes to show ya can't know everything. Not to mention original owner switched out the read axle gears to 3.73 from the factory 3.53 or .54??. You would think that extra gear ratio would help out on such a condition. He made quite a few changes for the purpose of towing a 5th wheel travel trailer.

Reply to
GeekBoy

With a DTT? They make the converter/ trans per the spec's of your truck and the intended use. I never had that problem. With the DTT, it was instant on. That is with a Cummins, not a ps.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

that's probably exactly what he would do....he doesn't seem to understand that 0 mph = 0 rpm on the input shaft. with the clutch engaged that means 0 engine rpm also. thus no boost. atleast the auto will allow the engine to spool up some since the torque converter is a hydraulic coupling.

I damn sure wouldn't complain that the trans wasn't getting the job done because I had my truck so over loaded that it couldn't pull off from a stop.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

It was not overloaded. I was outpulling gassers going up a moutain only pulling their ligh weight fiberglass boats.

Next time try pulluing from a dead stop goingup more than a 10% incline..

Reply to
GeekBoy

been there done that

Reply to
Chris Thompson

I'm sure by now you have it fixed. What did they find wrong with it??

Reply to
Roy

Because the Fords variable turbo or it's new twin turbos are simply going to spool up faster and give you maximum boost sooner.

Reply to
TBone

LOL, that may be the case but my buddies F350 stomped on a Cummins Ram last week and he has yet to let me forget it.

Reply to
TBone

Probably an old 12 valve

Reply to
GeekBoy

Nope, I was in the truck with him and it was a 05 or 06 and his truck is just about completely stock. Now we turned off about a 1/4 of a mile down the road so it may be possible that the Cummins could have caught back up and that the driver of the Dodge was slow to react but off of the line, his

96 F350 walked away from the Dodge.
Reply to
TBone

If it wasa 96 then it could not be stock to do that.

Reply to
GeekBoy

And why won't the Cummins VG turbo spool just as quickly?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Changing the rear gears from 3.73 to 3.54 would hurt startup power, not help it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Why is that? the gear ratio is highermaking it easier for the engine to turn the rear wheels

Reply to
GeekBoy