New Ford Heavy Duty w/twin turbos?

You've got it backwards. With 3.73 gears the drive shaft turns 3.73 turns per turn of the rear wheels. With 3.54 gears, it's 3.54 turns. So it's harder to turn the shaft. Plus the total drive ratio is the transmission ratio, times the rear end ratio. So if you have a 3 to 1 ratio in the transmission and 3.73 rear gears, you have a total ratio of 11.19. That means the engine turns 11.19 turns for each turn of the rear tire. With 3.54 gears the final ratio would be 10.62. With 4.11 rear gears the final ratio would be 12.33. The more times the engine turns for each turn of the wheel the more torque is applied to the wheel.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I think you just contradicted yourself. More torque means more power being applied thus easier the vehicle can tow. If the first part of you mention is true, then most 3500 duallys would come with 3.54 gears rather than 4.11

Reply to
GeekBoy

Then that Ford was FAR from stock. IIRC in '96 the PowerStrokes were only

215 hp. vs. 325 for the new Dodge stock.
Reply to
BigIronRam

Al, he said the original owner switched the gear to 3:73 from the factory gears of 3.54.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I still would like to hear what was found to be wrong with your truck!

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Did the guy in the Cummins know he was in a race??? I have a friend that bought a new Ford F350 PS last October. He thought it was real quick, so we went to a deserted area of the highway. From the a stop, he pulled me by about a1/2 length due to tire spin, but by the time we were at 50mph I was by him and pulled to about 2 lengths @100. Tried it twice more and the results were the same, but we left together. He went out and bought a BHAF and a 5" exhaust. Didn't seem to matter much, the results were about the same. Now he's pissed, buys a smarty. Boy do those things work! If they had one for the Cummins I'd have bought one and really pissed him off. Both trucks were auto, 4X4 with 4:11 or whatever rear gears. Mine was a 04 QC.

Reply to
Roy

When did they start using them?

Reply to
TBone

You got it backwards dude, he went from a 3.5? to a 3.73

Reply to
TBone

The Dodge wasn't new, it was about 2 years old, probably an 05.

Reply to
TBone

Actually, it was never intended as a race. My buddy got on it to get to the turnoff before some other asshole in a car got there as they couldn't drive worth a shit. I guess that when the driver of the Dodge either saw the Ford next to him or saw us take off took it as a race and got on it as well but could not catch up before we turned off. Whatever the reason, I'm still taking abuse for it even though he knows that the Cummins is a superior engine. Hey, if everything goes as rumor makes it, pretty soon the Dodge will be using the Duramax engine, LOL!!

Reply to
TBone

So your buddies F350 didn't "stomp" on a Cummins Ram.

Reply to
Roy

So much for me helping:) Misread the post:)

Sorry,

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Read up on the specs. of the 6.7L engine...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Dodges have been making 325HP since '04.5

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I never took it in,. I do know sometimes my perforance chip does not turn on or activate when I turn on the truck, causing significant power reduction.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I'm using his words, not mine.

Reply to
TBone

Yea, with a big non-variable turbo that took its sweet ass time spooling up compared to the variable type that the Ford uses.

Reply to
TBone

The dodge was running biodeisel and the driver didn't relize the ford had mashed it until too late ( It was taking off so slowly). :-) Hard to make up four or five truck lengths over a 1/4 mile.

I still would like to hear what was found to be wrong with your truck!

Roy

Reply to
BoomTown

Talking 05-07 vintage, the high reving ferd and cheby V8 deisels will beat the stock dodge cummins by a car legnth or less all other things being equal, a good driver can make a difference. With $2000 you can't do much to a Ferd or cheby, but you can make that cummins go like a bat out of $%#@ and will wip the ferd and cheby easily for years and years to come. With unlimited money, talking perhaps $100,000, you can make the cheby a monster for at least a couple weeks before you need to start all over aggain.....

Did the guy in the Cummins know he was in a race??? I have a friend that bought a new Ford F350 PS last October. He thought it was real quick, so we went to a deserted area of the highway. From the a stop, he pulled me by about a1/2 length due to tire spin, but by the time we were at 50mph I was by him and pulled to about 2 lengths @100. Tried it twice more and the results were the same, but we left together. He went out and bought a BHAF and a 5" exhaust. Didn't seem to matter much, the results were about the same. Now he's pissed, buys a smarty. Boy do those things work! If they had one for the Cummins I'd have bought one and really pissed him off. Both trucks were auto, 4X4 with 4:11 or whatever rear gears. Mine was a 04 QC.

Reply to
BoomTown

Based on my experience I have to disagree. As I said, to get around me he had to get a smarty. True the driver can make a difference but he's pretty sharp, he runs a pro street.

For under $700.00 you can program in 60 plus HP

Look here:

Don't know where your getting your figures from.

Reply to
Roy