Oil pump replacement - 2001 Dakota 2wd 4.7l auto

Need some advice here, please...
Went through the (from what I understand now) normal knocking sound
for a couple of weeks... Then the oil pressure went to zero...
Everything that I can find on the web indicates that you can replace
the pump by dropping the oil pan....
Just got a bid from a local mechanic that says that the front of the
engine has to come off... I'm guessing he means timing chain and stuff
but don't know....
Anyone replaced the pump on this rig and can shine a little light for
me?
We're in Mexico and the guy quoted about $300 labor and $60 to $100
for the pump... Seems high to me??
Reply to
Mac Davis
Is it a 5.2L? If so, here is a link to a youtube video where he replaced it after removing the pan.
FMB
Reply to
FMB
Damn, now I have a headache from the forehead slap. Sorry about that. Have you looked at the replacement part and looked at the front of the engine to see if there is anything similar there? Interesting pump.
FMB
Reply to
FMB
Yeah.. Weird looking and expensive! He said that it was powered by the crankshaft... This would kind of back that up... We may have to bite the bullet and have him do it...
Reply to
Mac Davis

Site Timeline Threads