one for snownan

Oh come on, Tom. It's been three days now. Question 31... how much does Box B weigh? The test is wrong.

Reply to
Beryl

I don't know about snowman, but Tom L. is stuck. In fact, this whole thread went off-topic, like there's suddenly no interest in the test any more.

Reply to
Beryl

And we haven't heard from snowman yet. I wonder what question he's stuck on?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

I hear that... We filled a 53' trailer to move here..

The house in the States was only 1,400 sf plus a garage and the house here is

1,600+ sf with the shop, but we went from a 3 bedroom 2 bath with den to a 2 bedroom, 2 bath and great room.. No place to hide shit.. no "hall closets", attic, etc...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

How to boot his computer?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

We did a 30 foot with no furniture, with the exception of the wide screen and our bed. The rest was stuff, garage stuff, gun stuff, Sue's cooking stuff(which was a lot), just more stuff.

We went the other way. From a 2,500'+ house with a 28x26 foot garage and a

10x14 shed, to a 1,600' house and a 20x22 foot garage.

It just isn't going to fit!! But Sue is trying. Told her I'd screw around with it for one more day then I'm going to be at the beach. Hell I have the garage cleaned up.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Actually, we couldn't even fit our stuff in the 53' trailer... and we took maybe

4 pieces of furniture.. lol We had to leave the washer & dryer, a couple of cabinets and a bunch of stuff that just wouldn't fit in the semi, the ram or the blazer.. We even sent our neighbor down in the Dakota with a load..

Our tools took a lot of space, though... and cost us an extra $600 duty at the border...

We've already got rid of quite a bit of stuff in the last year... A lot of it was stuff that would have gone to AM Vets or somebody, but we figured that folks down here needed it more.. We gave away 3 old window AC units and you wouldn't believe how much difference they made to peoples lives... especially since 2 were to pregnant ladies that were due during the summer... yuk!

I guess another difference in our moves is we're 120 miles from wally world or home depot, so I wasn't going to leave a single nut, bolt, bracket, etc. in the states..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I hear ya bro! I'm looking all over the place for a electrical lug/connector for the lights on the cart. My kid grabbed mine, figured I wouldn't need them. Sue is shopping about 20 miles away , called her and she will hit WW and grab one of those assortments. It just never ends. But there is no friggin' snow.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Reply to
Frank Will

I sent the site a note about the error. They changed the question. Used to be two boxes, now two triangles, and standing on their pointy ends so it's clear where the force is applied to the horizontal beam.

The correct answer previously, with the boxes, was 60kg. That answer wasn't among the choices.

Reply to
Beryl

Come on down.. I have what you need..lol

In my old neighborhood in the States, I was the guy they came to see before trying the hardware store... Much more so here.. I never throw anything away until I've got any screws or whatever out of it and sorted 'em..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Question 31

Square boxes, 2 units in width. Box A occupies first boxwidth space left of fulcrum. Box B occupies third boxwidth space right of fulcrum. __ __ | | | | |A | |B | [][][][][][][][][][][][] /\ /__\

If box A weighs 300 kg, how much does box B weigh?

[] 50 kg [] 100 kg [] 150 kg [] 300 kg _____________________________________________________________
Reply to
Beryl

Wouldn't it be 100 kg? If box A has 1/3 the leverage that box B has and they balance, box B weighs 1/3 the amount of box A. 1/3 of 300 kg is 100 kg. How did you get 60 kg?

Reply to
Nosey

OK, when I checked out the test it had the triangles, so I don't know what it looked like before. Looking at what you drew using standard keyboard symbols, it seems to me that box B is 3 times the distance from the fulcrum compared to box A. Wouldn't that make box B 1/3 the weight (100kg)? That's assuming that the beam has no mass.

I'm new to news groups, but know a little about fixed width versus preportional width fonts, so I cut and pasted your picture into a fixed width font program and it looked the same to me. I apologize if I'm not getting the picture. As I see it, the left side of box A aligns with the

4th "[". In other words there seem to be 3 "[]" units to the left of box A. At any rate, as I see your picture, it's the same as the test with the triangles.

I must admit, it was a fun test. If it hadn't been a multiple choice test, I might have missed the mutliple pulley questi>> Frank Will wrote:

Reply to
Frank Will

I stand corrected. I accidentally left notepad open and saw Beryl's picture! If that is a correct representation of the original diagram, then

300kg/5 lengths=60kg.s
Reply to
Frank Will

It would, if B was 3 times the distance. But it's 5 times.

The beam is centered on the fulcrum.

Each [] of the beam is one unit. Box A covers two [], there are four more [] to the left of A. Box B also covers two [], and there are four [] to the left of B.

They made the triangles fit the old answer, rather than change the answer to fit the old boxes. Too bad.

Reply to
Beryl

__ __ | | | | |A | |B | [][][][][][][][][][][][] /\ /__\

The boxes are 2 X 2 squares, but we don't see the depth of the boxes. They could be flat as old 33 1/3 LP record albums, so imagine that they are. Now turn them 90* and look at them edgewise.

Sorry, the vertical edges appear just a bit offset between the [][] in my pic, but you can see that A has 1/5 the leverage of B.

The width of the boxes fools you, but it's their CG that matters. That's why the original question was so good, and the one with triangles isn't.

Reply to
Beryl

Reply to
Frank Will

It's an easy one now, nothing special about it.

What do you think about question 44, with the water rising higher in tube A or B? I think that tube B will suck air.

Reply to
Beryl

IIRC, the answer they wanted was something like "water in A would rise higher than B" which would be correct even if B was sucking air. I also think B would suck air as that is how an in-line foam eductor is designed (not to suck air, but foam concentrate).

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB