OT Jeep project is finished!!!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The United Mexican States or Mexico (Spanish: Estados Unidos Mexicanos or México) has some of the strictest gun laws in the world. It is in many ways similar to the United Kingdom, except with much more severe prison terms for even the smallest gun law violations. On the other hand, possession of non-military-caliber small arms by citizens is largely a non-issue. Gun politics are thus not the major issue in Mexico that they are in the neighboring United States, since few Mexican citizens have any gun law difficulties. The primary source of guns used in criminal activities Mexico is illegal smuggling.

Don't know about this part, Miles... I have a feeling that the law is on the books but that permit is pretty hard to get... I know of no one that has one..

Gun licensing and legislation for US citizens, and citizens from other countries The US Department of State warns US citizens against taking any firearm or ammunition into Mexico without prior written authorization from the Mexican authorities. Entering Mexico with a firearm, or even a single round of ammunition, carries a penalty of up to five years in prison, even if the firearm or ammunition is taken into the country unintentionally. Furthermore even a single round of 9 mm ammunition, being a military caliber cartridge, carries even heavier jail-time penalties. The only way legally to import firearms and/or ammunition into Mexico is to secure a permit in advance from the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C. or from a Mexican consulate.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

For sure... We were warned by the folks selling Mexican auto insurance (after we bought it) that if in even a little fender bender, expect to be blamed..

OTOH, the people down here are generally friendly and helpful... We had a pretty bad experience in the Blazer a few weeks ago with it over heating between Algadonis and home and had to stop 3 times in people's front yards for help/water.. We were taken very good care of every time and every one of them refused to take any money for their time.. Just some really cool people..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

neat. how about some pics of your place? what does it cost to "lease" a decentl place down there for 45 years?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

where ya want them sent.. ;-]

Well, prices are going up fast, but our lots were $30k each a couple of years ago... that's for 1/3 acre lots in the "multi-use" area.. meaning you can have an RV there year-round.. We want to built on the 2ns lot but just might keep it for investment.. It's 2 blocks away from our house.. Getting the house built was 150k with upgrades...

here's a little about how it works:

The Restricted Zone

The Mexican Constitution regulates the ownership of the land and establishes that "...in a zone of 100 kilometers along the border or 50 kilometers along the coast, a foreigner cannot acquire the direct ownership of the land." These areas are known as the "Restricted or Prohibited Zones". Nevertheless, the latest Mexican Foreign Investment Law, which became law on December 28, 1993, makes the allowances mentioned above.

Fideicomiso or Bank Trust:

Any foreigner or Mexican National can constitute a Fideicomiso (the equivalent to an American beneficial trust) through a Mexican bank in order to purchase real estate anywhere in Mexico, including the Restricted Zone. To do so, the buyer requests a Mexican bank of his/her choice to act as a trustee on his/her behalf.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Was it that they were unable or simply chose not to. While I'm sure they were scared, they had nothing to lose by attacking the guy, especially after he shot the first one. Many people will do nothing, even if they have the gun.

Once again, unable or simply unwilling. Since he didn't have a gun himself, how many people could he possibly fight off, especially if jumped on from behind.

While that sounds good, what if as the little old man was about to shoot the scumbag, someone else with a gun came around the corner, saw the old man getting ready to shoot the attacker and thought the old man was the attacker and shot the old man.

I am sure that you do but you are under the assumption that everyone that would be carrying would both know what to do and act rationally.

Reply to
TBone

I actually find myself agreeing with T! Spent some time last night thinking about that one and how many people are in a wal-mart and how many cool weapons are at hand there, from shopping carts to butcher knives.. People stood around because that's the kind of people they were.. that parts a no-brainer.. There are many "heroes" out there that used fists, flying tackles, mace or plain masses of people to stop attacks like that one or worse...

The type of person who carries may or may not give a shit about anyone but themselves, either.. for all you know, one or more of the folks watching the lady get attacked were carrying..

Guns don't make folks smarter, faster, more honest or morale, any more than guns can be blamed for killing people all by themselves..

Personally, I like guns a lot, but the last 3 people on earth I want to try and have a conversation with are the ones that are newly reborn, just quit smoking or think that everyone should have guns..