OT: motorcycle helmets

Hey gang, I know this is OT but I throw this out there to all that ride bike and even those that don't as I value the thoughts and opinions of most in here, I have a question for you all about helmets.

Though my helmet was fitted properly, I still have a little problem with the chin strap, as it cuts down into my throat as opposed to being under the chin. It is so bad that it chokes me and I don't wear it.

I have been thinking about having the single under chin strap replaced with a double strap, over/under strap from a military issue kevlar hemlet. Having spent 16 years wearing one in the Army, I know how secure and stable then are when worn properly. Anyone see any feasability or flaws in this idea?

Reply to
azwiley1

Take your Helmut to a motorcycle dealer, they should be able to fit you properly. Donut wear the chin strap around your neck dood.

Reply to
MoParMaN

Well, I'd expect an insurance compnay to jump at the opportunity to deny a claim if you modify the straps. While we agree other straps may be as good or even better....they'll use that to get out of a payout IMO.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

As a devote coward that wore a full face helmet for years & years, I'd be hesitant to alter the strap as it might change some weird thing like stress angle or whatever.. Possible to add something like those things that slip over a seat belt to keep it from chaffing your shoulder??

Mac

mac davis

I would take it back to where I bought it. They have probably seen the problem before and know how to remedy it. Perhaps a chim pad like the cops use would help.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Thats not a chin pad... Thats a donut duster!

JS

Reply to
JS

hmm... I always thought that it was a crumb catcher... Mac

mac davis