power window regulator motor replacement

Please help- I have a 2000 dodge ram 2500. I need to replace the power window motor. The chilton's manual I have says not to remove the motor from the regulator because it is spring loaded and may cause injury if removed. NAPA sells only the motor, not a motor/regulator combination. This leads me to believe that there must be a way to replace only the motor. Is ther a safe way to replace the motor with out the regulator flying apart in my face? Thank you. Mark.

Reply to
CKBREW

wear safety glasses, and leather work gloves, and take it apart carefully.

or use something to hold it in, like a vise (be gentle)

generally, the most important thing is not so much injury to you, but loss of parts if you are not careful... they go flying across the room, never to be found again :P

Reply to
Coffee

Reply to
MARK

I removed the regulator. There was a hole in the end of arm of the regulator. I inserted a bold with 2 nuts on in, on on each side of the metal, then tightened the nuts against each other. With this bolt in place, it locked the regulator arms and prevented the spring from forcing the arms apart. Then I just had to dismount the old motor and mount the new one. Remove the bolt and nuts and reassemble.

PS. When I called the parts department at a local Dodge dealer they told me it is not possible to change only the motor, and I had to change out the entire regulator & motor assembly. The replacement part would be $220.00, and would take 5 days to ship it from Boston which is a 2 hour drive from where I live. NAPA had the motor for $60.00. Go figure!

Mark

Reply to
MARK