radiator questions

I just bought a 1975 dodge power wagon from my parents. I have not yet recieved the truck due to it not having a radiator and being so far away, half of the us. It has a rebuilt 350 in it, that is all my parents have been able to tell me they don't know much about it other than that. Is this enough information to determine what kind of radiator to place in it, I am just starting to build and am learning as I go. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
j1obscure

Sorry one other question... When looking for parts what is the truck classified as.... B200, D200, or W200

Reply to
j1obscure
360...not 350.
Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

B's are vans, D's are two wheel drive trucks and W's are four wheel drive.

Reply to
BigIronRam

oops... I retarded... its a 318.... not a 350 or a 360... sorry...

Reply to
j1obscure

B200 = 3/4 ton van D200 = 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive pick up W200 = 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive pick up

Reply to
aarcuda69062

alright to answer your questions to the best of my ability,

you have a year and model 75 power wagon

you need to know if 4wd or 2wd most likely (although i see no real reason for a differance in that year truck as far as the radiator)

and you need to know if its an automatic or standard shift (the automatic trans radiator will have a transmission cooler in it)

along with engine size, you need to make sure your other post about it being a 318 is right...should be, the 318 is a common truck motor as is the 360. hopefully no one has put the chevrolet 350 (mentioned in the post i replied to) in that truck, it will just complicate things if they have.

that should be all you need to know about the truck to order the radiator. any GOOD parts house should be able to handle this request, you may also want to put the upper and lower hose on while you are there along with new clamps. couldnt hurt.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Sorry it is a 318 as stated in my latest of posts... it is also a 4wd I am hoping that it is a W200 now, still not too sure... It has a wood bed, and flared rear fenders.... checking pictures people have posted though I can not find any W200's matching mine. Soon when I am granted leave I hope to go to Nebr. and put a new radiator in it and drive it to my duty station in Cali.

Thanks for the help Jeremiah

Reply to
j1obscure

if its 4wd and it has the 200 badgeing then its a w200

remember from aarcuda's post that w stands for 4wd truck

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Thats the thing... the only badging it has is power wagon on the hood... I have only seen it a few times... never been alowed near it too much it was my mothers baby... I finally talked her into selling it...

if you gohere... that is what it looks like minus the fire equipment and thepic is only of a 4x2, mine is a 4x4.

Reply to
j1obscure

If it has flared fenders it is a utiline and is likely a 1/2 ton which would make it a W100. If you have the VIN, post it and I can decipher what it is.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Five lug nuts is a W100. Eight lugs is a W200

Denny

Reply to
Denny

snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

some more of that practical engineering eh?

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Good point!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Whatever it takes to get the job done. I'm sure ole Meryle would want a committee to study it for awile tho....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

The photo shows it has a full-floating rear axle. It's a 3/4 ton (W200) model.

When I had issues with a boiling-over radiator in my '77 D200, I learned from Performance radiator

that itshould have had a 3-row radiator in it (someone prior to me owning it hadapparently swapped in a 2-row radiator). Performance radiator had a 4-rowunit available, and it while it wasn't cheap, it was within budget. Once Ihad the new unit swapped in and started the engine (it was stone cold) withthe radiator cap off, I noticed the coolant was rushing thru it butshouldn't have been, if the thermostat was there and working properly. Infact, there was NO thermostat! The OP should go with as much radiator he you can fit, with a NEW cap and thermostat, and he'll be fine. While he's in there, it'd be a darned good idea to take a close look at the fan drive and water pump to be sure they're in good shape. Either of those items letting go will ruin your day (along with the new & expensive radiator).

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Nothing to be engineered. Even you can manage this one. You won't even have to take your shoes off.

Reply to
Beryl

shoulda shown this pic

looks more like that one ;)