Re: 1999 Dodge Ram dashboard

What is the procedure for removing just the top piece?

Reply to
Topcop

You mean the piece that's cracked? You can't - the entire instrument panel is molded as a single piece. You'd have to remove the entire panel (a fairly involved job - get a factory service manual before attempting) and replace it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

"" wrote: > > What is the procedure for removing just the top piece? > > You mean the piece that's cracked? You can't - the entire > instrument panel > is molded as a single piece. You'd have to remove the entire > panel (a > fairly involved job - get a factory service manual before > attempting) and > replace it.

The top of the dash is called a top cover, I know because I just paid $334.92 for it! That?s just the part not the labor! I did the work myself, I wouldn?t recommend this to a novice! It took me about 7 hours. The dash cover screws are facing the windshield, the only way to reach them is too removed the dash completely period! Chilton book is ok but doesn?t go in great detail just shows the basics. You will end up removing everything from front of the dash and droping the steering wheel column. Hope this helps. :wink:

Reply to
Masterchief

Has anyone tried this one? It's less than $120. My '99 dash is cracked in 3 different places. I want to fix it but I don't want to remove the whole dash out to do it.

Nosey

As another owner of a 99 ram with cracked dash, I'd be interested in this if it glues on or something, to stop that #*!&$! rattle of the cracked dash and maybe suspend the cracks from spreading more..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Looks interesting, who will be the guinea pig? I want one.

Reply to
RM

I located the top piece that is cracked. Dealers will tell you the whole dash has to be replaced at a cost of at least $800.00. But a dealer here in Tampa, FL. will sell just the top piece which they say they've replaced many. I just need to know how far I have to disassemble the dash to get the top piece in. By the way, the part is $194.00 and is part #5GK45RC8AB and comes in black or grey.

Reply to
Topcop

Topcop

Is that a DC part number?