Re: Low Level Formatting for Dumbasses

I find it interesting that you would post this when it basically says that you are full of shit. Why would you low level a disk to remove a virus or adware???????

Reply to
TBone

I wouldn't. Some viruses you can't get rid of, they are just put in quarantine, if you want to total get rid of them, this is the option. I haven't LL formatted a drive in 15 years.

Reply to
MoParMaN

An fdisk and format will get rid of it - without low-level formatting. There are a FEW known virus infections that will blow the low level format on SOME drives. Can't remember which ones, but they were also capable of wiping the BIOS on some motherboards.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

This is true about low level formatting, but it won't even help if you have certain type of bios/cmos bugs. We've captured some that reside in the battery ram on SMart Arrays....There is no tool to find or get rid of those. Thankfully, these types haven't infected the general public yet. If they ever do, it'll be worse than when Blaster hit.

Reply to
MoParMaN

If there is no tool to find them, how did you find them? From what I've read on the net those that had a properly set up firewall were unaffected by the Blaster virus. In any event the blaster virus though nasty to be sure, was no where near the earth shattering event some would like to believe.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Firewalls allow or don't allow certain IP addresses to access your firewall and then your network and then your PC's. It has nothing to do with stopping an actual attack if you allow access to your machine. Although most virus's are transmitted or acquired thru email, the really tuff ones infect your machine as soon as you attach them to a network, as some forms of blaster did. People would take a brand new machine, install the cables and then install the OS with it connected. As soon as the OS allowed a network connection, the virus was planted and waited until the email system was operational. Then when you sent an email to someone with this little worm attached, it not only allowed him to get it (cause he opened your email) it also sent everyone in your address book a message and if they accepted they were now infected and then it was like stray cats and dawgs....The shit hit the fan and firewalls don't protect you against things you let pass.......

There's lots of good ready on the web about this stuff, I'm wore out and do this everyday. I don't need to be doing it on my time off.

I use Norton, because I can't afford to run an Apache or Cheyenne Server for protection. It's the best product for the money. The free stuff is a virus, or worm.

That's all I have to say in this matter. Outside of there are over 50,000 different known viruses and some of them may have 10K variances of them. The fact is, if you connect to the internet, someone really smart is gonna figure out a way to screw it up for you. If you use for machine for important stuff, I would never be without nothing less than Norton/MacAfee, a good router (Linksys, Dlink, Cisco, etc), and never connect to the internet without them running.....Never open an email from someone you don't know, even if it's scanned first, if the dood just invented the virus, there is no protection for it yet.

That is really all...

Reply to
MoParMaN

"MoParMaN" wrote in news:HY1Zd.11448$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

You are proof that any idiot can read about viruses and then pretend to be someone who has a clue about computers. I suggest that you stick to your given trade which is most likely cleaning urinals.

Reply to
tango

But like you said, the virus or worm can be sent from people you DO know so opening an attachment from anybody can be potentially dangerous.

Reply to
Frank

If it's from someone you know, and you're suspicious, give them a call or send them an email asking if they sent you one.

If the reply is no, then you know. :-)

Reply to
High Sierra

So AVG is a virus? "AVG Free Edition is available free-of-charge to home users!"

Trey

but what if they are then suspicious of the email you sent to them, so they send you another email asking you about the email you sent them asking about the email they sent you?

Reply to
Trey

ha, ha, ha, ha, thud. (me laughing my head off) :-D

Reply to
High Sierra