Steering Knock

My 99 Durango has started making a 'knocking' sound in the steering column. It knocks about every 1/4 turn in both directions. This can also be felt in the wheel. It almost sounds and feels like it is catching on something in the column right under the wheel. I have taken off all trim and found nothing. My mechanic found an old TSB that said to R & R the steering wheel and all attaching hardware and re-torque to specs. This was done, but did not help. Any other ideas?

Reply to
willobi

Inspect the intermediate shaft (shaft that runs from the steering box or rack to the base of the column). The U-joints in that shaft can wear out, causing slop, and the clunking that you're feeling.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence