T-Bonehead, the math whiz

Sure, and why your at it, start adding up a few of your own.

What it means is that although I did make an error (and unlike you, man enough to admit to it), I let it go to prove a point and you a liar. I changed the discussion from the math error to the same old boring argument about people using percentages to mislead others. Now you said that you stopped posting on the towing thread because I wasn't saying anything of value rather than you knowing that you were wrong so I decided to keep the nonsense going to see if you would stick to your word. Not only did you continue to keep posting even though I really wasn't saying anything of real value on the percentage issue, you actually created whole new threads about it so I guess that value has nothing to do with it. It is more the need to always be right at any cost and hide from even the simplest of errors.

Reply to
TBone

LOL, do you really like being an idiot? Where did I say no outside force was needed. A lever is a simple machine that converts or creates torque at the pivot point when a force is applied to the lever. You do know that a crankshaft is also a lever being acted on by the connecting rods and producing torque from that, right????

Reply to
TBone

It was a simple math error Gary, get over it and crack those books on the true definition on the conservation of energy. The TC produces torque and consumes HP in the form of RPM to do it. No laws were violated, there is no magic here.

Reply to
TBone

Wow, this reminds me of the great AADT K&N Filter debate!!!!

Years later and it is still go>> As Harry Potter would say, Mischief Managed.

Reply to
azwiley1

Yea, some of these things just never seem to die.

Reply to
TBone

Yes, you are but we are used to it.

And by the conversion, produces more torque.

And uses the conversion to produce something

at definition 2 "come to have or undergo a change "Now I may be wrong but a conversion is a change.

Wrong, it doesn't create but it can produce a change or conversion, wait, you already said that.

The entire equation, LOL. How about Power (HP) = torque(lbf-ft) * angular speed.(rpm) / 5252. Now there are other derivations of this equation and this one does not take loss into account but it serves the purpose here. Now since power at any given point has to remain constant, if you reduce the RPM the torque must go up and the only way that can happen is to PRODUCE more of it. While the production is being done by a simple mechanical advantage, it is still being done.

Reply to
TBone

right here:

"Actually, a lever creates torque"

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Reply to
TranSurgeon

no, idiot, it CONVERTS hi-rpm / low torque HP to low-rpm / high-torque HP

it 'produces' nothing

in fact, it loses about 4-8% as heat

Reply to
TranSurgeon

only because some people have to have percentages explained to them, over and over and over........

Reply to
TranSurgeon

"Consumes" rpm? Geez... never heard of that one before.... for the record, RPM is merely a measurement of velocity, RPM's have zero energy.

Methinks you need to hit the library for some serious research.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

LOL, keep daydreaming.

Reply to
TBone

Yes it does, when a force is applied to it. Please show me where I said it did it all by itself.

No response here Gary??? I wonder why not.

Reply to
TBone

A conversion produces one thing from something else.

Wrong.

Yep, something else that the TC and trans can produce.

Reply to
TBone

LOL, actually, it is a measurement of angular velocity and anything that has a velocity contains energy which can be consumed or used to produce something else. RPM's are just a unit of measure. You can jump on the semantics if you want but it really doesn't do much for your credibility.

Ditto

Reply to
TBone

oh yeah. yawn.

Reply to
the guy

Most of MD's statements are a fallacy and if you hang around here long enough you will see that.

Reply to
TBone

How exactly does it convert it? If it reduces RPM and builds torque, then it is producing more torque at the cost of RPM.

I know how they work. That is not the issue. What is the issue is that nothing can increase something without producing more of it, regardless of the method.

Hahahahahaha, look who is talking.

Reply to
TBone

It is not really reconfigured either. HP is a measurement of work done. (33,000 ftlbs or work a minute equals one HP) so when you regear aor step down the RPM you are not really converting anyting because the same total HP is still availble minus any power loss in gear box.

200 Ftlbs or torque at 4500RPM will do jsut as much work (HP availible) as 600FTlbs of torque at 1500RPM (HP = torque x RPM / 5252)
Reply to
SnoMan

right up there 'a lever creates torque['

because I don't respond to attempts to side-track the current discussion

when you admit your f*ck-up over a 'lever creates torque', then I'll move on to your 'crankshaft' thing and demolish it, too

hint: better start proof-reading before you post, BoneHead

Reply to
TranSurgeon