Truck dies, suggestions please???

Hi group,

1995, 1500SLT, 360, auto, 2WD, red.

It just stopped and I coasted to a stop. I looked under the hood and everything seemed OK as in distributor cap was in place etc. Got back in and it started up. Closed the hood and drove 100 feet and it died again and it did that 3 more times before I agreed it had a problem.

Had it towed home and will attack it tomorrow afternoon. My first assumption is gas and probably the fuel filter.

OH, I live in a rural area and rats and mice are a BIG problem in vehicles. So far I have never had any issues with them, BUT, when it coasted to a stop and I walked around it, a VERY fat rat ran out from under. I can't see any eaten anything, but I have not had a really good look yet.

I am still leaning towards the fuel filter because of the start after a delay thing.

Anyone care to throw some light on the problem here to give me a head start for tomorrow?

Thanks in advance for any morsels of mechanical wisdon you can toss.

Reply to
Jenny3kids

Does it keep running if you hold the key "on" just up to the point where the starter would crank? If so, you have a bad ballast resistor, broken/loose wire or, like on my old Dodge, a corroded firewall connector.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

No ballast resistor on that truck.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Ok, I wasn't sure when they got rid of it.

The key position still is valid though...

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Since no one here has said it yet, I will.

Trade it in, it's not worth fixing!

Reply to
azwiley1

I see little has changed on this group in my 12 month absence. It is a pity as this used to be a good and helpful group about 2 or 3 years back. Seems just the tree ants are left. Oh well, it was worth a look in.

Reply to
Jenny3kids

I would look more into chewed wires near or going to the fuel tank. The filter is inside of the tank and is part of the fuel pump assembly so I doubt that is an issue although it could be if you have a really bad tank of fuel. Are you getting a check engine light? If not does the check engine light work?

Reply to
TBone

You obviously didn't improve your reading skills while you were out because you would see the fact that my reply was a joke and by simply reading, you would have realized that!

Reply to
azwiley1

I think she'd have to have seen some of frozen brains posts to get the joke. The punch line isn't much without the setup. I don't know all the internet standards for acronyms, but I think some of ours are specific to our little group, probably didn't help her much? Just a thought.

Reply to
BigIronRam

I think that her problem is that people seem quick with the jokes but short on trying to help and in reality, few of the regulars answer many questions anymore.

Reply to
TBone

Get the fuel pressure checked.

Reply to
Roy

I've had several bouts of flakey electric fuel pumps in various makes and models. If you can't find anything else wrong it's worth a shot.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Ok, are you done preaching?! Did you ever bother to think that manner of the regulars in here don't want to post because of preaching like this from you, and the constant "battles" with assclowns, names unmentioned?!

Sorry that you of all people, Tom could not see the humor in it, since at some point that exact post would have likely shown up.

Reply to
azwiley1

exactly what i was thinking roy. a cheap pressure guague could show the problem. another thought could be a flakey ignition switch. especially if the OP has a heavy key ring. this could easily be verified by shaking the key switch without the truck moving.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Constant whining doesn't change the facts. As for the humor, I did see it as shown in my other reply but like someone said, it would be missed by anyone who has not been around for a while.

Reply to
TBone

My guess would be the fuel pump. They are only good for about 150K.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Yup, the key ring has gotten a few.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I saw the humor and couldn't believe you beat Snopuddle to it. He wouldn't be joking though.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Well, than stop whinning about it, since it was only you and some mystery poster who out of the blue sky decieded to complain about the damn thing.

Reply to
azwiley1