Punto gearshift knob: how is it held on?

My post-1999 Punto gearshift knob keeps coming off in use and it's not obvious what it should be stopping it from doing this. Is there some sort of clip that's fallen off, or...? Thanks.

Reply to
John Q Torquewrench

basicly an new one is hammered on, the plastic fins inside the knob deform too hold it on the shaft. if yours is coming off it means you need a new one, a very common fault.

Reply to
undergraduate-car-mechanic

Thanks very much UCM. Think I'll annoy the wife by fitting a really blinging replacement then. :-)

Reply to
John Q Torquewrench

Mine is now held on with glue, after I had the same problem!

Reply to
P S K

that is unusual on my mark1 it took alot of working to come of and mark 2 owners seem to have the opposite problems

Reply to
sam

how do u take a mark1 punto gear knob off the shaft? as i cant manage it and i am too firghtened of snapping the plastic lower down the shaft,

Reply to
Ben Nealon