locking wheel bolts

I am looking for some locing wheels bolts for my 78 firebird.

Can anyone tell me what bolt/tthread size I need to be looking for.

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
tricky

7/16 stud and I think 20 threads per inch.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Thanks Ron, I will see if I can get some over here.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

I'm Sorry Rich I didn't realize that you were from "across the pond", but now I see. The best wheel nut manufacturer in my opinion would be McGard. I have wheel nuts that are 20 years old with no chips,cracks, or rust showing.

has what you are looking for and I believe will ship overseas for an extra fee, of course. :-( The size is SAE 7/16 - 20. I wasn't totally sure in the previous post but I have since confirmed the size.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to
RSCamaro

Thanks again !

I will check localy, but now I know where I can get them if all else fails.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

McGard keyed "locking" lugnuts are some of the toughest to remove with out the key. They have a sort of bulged shape that makes pounding a 6 or

12 point socket over them to remove them next to impossible. If you do get a snug fit over one, with out splitting the socket, the surface area due to the shape will not provide much bite. So that the socket will most likely spin over the surface.

Even "Lock" Lug removial sockets don't work well on Mcgard Keyed Lugnuts. Once again due to their shape.

When you deal with road side assistance work, salvage of vehicles, and service work, you learn what a pain keyed lugs are. All too often people miss-place the key to the lugs.

Recently after some idiots tried to steel the wheels off one of my cars. I purchased some keyed lugs. I got the type with a exaderated hex, Knowing if the key came up missing I could use either a spline socket, or a larger size 6 point socket pounded on to remove them. When you let someone other then your self drive your car, you should be prepaired to find the lug key missing.

BTW: Who other then a idiot try's to steel from a Gun owning redneck in broad daylight when he's home, awake and cleaning his shot gun? Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I know exactly how that is... Had locking lugs on my Formula when I bought it.. to find out the key in the glove compartment WASN"T the key for the lugs... took a shop 2 hours to get them off... replaced them with normal ones.. and then decided to do the same for my Camaro... in this area, for me.. they are just a royal PITA.

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Transmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR