Questions about my 02

Hey everyone,

I drove 8 hours (4 in and 4 back) to pick up my '02 T/A yesterday and I am VERY pleased with the purchase! Just have a few questions,

Why do the fog lights turn off when the brights go on? Is this a legality issue? If not, can this be fixed easily?

Does the car need 93 octane or is 89 good enough?

How much do tires for it run? Its got QFK - TIRES, P275/40ZR17 SPEED RATED. Just wondering as it looks like they are starting to wear down.

Anyone know a good place to get 41U black touch up paint for the car? I noticed some chips in the hood today.

Is it common for a T/A to have a WS9 Formula Option as well as the Y82 Trans Am Option?

I also noticed that this doesn't have th OD transmission, but the 1,2,3,4. Meaning no more need to switch between gears like my '80s cars?

The guy I bought it from also had a 160 pt inspection done. It found a couple things...

-K&N filter needs to be cleaned est. $54 (inc. kit)

-Left Washer nozzle clogged, poss broken. est $44 poss $60

-Rear differential seaping at vent - normal, no repair ness

-Rear differential seaping at pinion seal est $96

-Torque converter cover around starting missing, no part available

-rear brake pads at 4mm warning area but not needed now

-Front brake pads new. Recommended fuel filter replacement.

Ok, now with that all said, what does seaping mean? Should I have that taken care of? What about the torque converter? I planned on replaceing the rear pads, how much do the rear ones get used? I can hear grinding when I brake, but sometimes if I brake harder, the carstarts turning, like if one side grips more than the other, but it switches sides, so maybe I'll have both front and back checked.

Ok, enough with the novel. Its just this is the closest thing I've had to a "New car" and I want to take care of this one... as well as have some fun with it.

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed no T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops
check it out. 2002 Black Trans Am 5.7L LS1 auto w/T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

You can run 89 but it will cause the PCM to slip into diagnostic/safe mode. Not recommended. I run 93 in my 02 SS (basically the same car, just different styling).

Depends what you want to run. Drag radials, dd street, etc. $100~$250 each.

On the Camaros there is an OD position for the A4's. On the Pontiac they just listed 1-4. The 4L60E is a computer controlled 700-4R.

Check for front brake rotor warpage. Very notorious and common thing with the GM brake rotors on 4th generation f-bodys. Look for some decent aftermarket rotors or get used to changing these often.

For your other questions and everything else you didn't even know you need to know about these cars go to

and
(I am not affiliated with either of these sites but do read/post on them quite often.)

And congratulations on getting a 4th gen with the LS1. Its capable of quite a bit.

Get a transcooler for the A4's. The autos and the 10-bolts are definite weak spots on the 4th generation f-body's drivetrain.

Reply to
d666e

Awesome! Thank goodness there are those fool enough to sell such a nice car. Hehe.

Could be some weird regulation, corporate whim, or maybe the wiring bus supplying current to the lights is not rated for the amperage draw if all lights are on at once? Dunno. Maybe none of the above.

Trans Am means LS1 V8 right (as opposed to plain Firebird)? If so, it likes 92+ best, but the ECM will retard timing and it will run fine with lower octane down to 87. I suggest feeding this engine premium always though.

Depends on the tires of course! I have 245-50R16 Michellin Pilot Sport tires. Got them for around $179 plus extra for installation etc. per tire if I remember right. There are many cheaper tires, and some even more expensive. I suppose your 40 series tire might be even more expensive all else being equal. Good place to check is

Pontiac dealer. Will have it or can get it for you. Not all that much coin really (less than $20).

Dunno. I'm a Camaro man.

Huh? Are you saying it is an A4 but without O/D? I thought all the late model F-bodies use the 460LE tranny.

That's the cost of the whole new K&N filter! A cleaning/re-oiling kit is far less. I suggest putting a paper Delco filter in anyway. That's what I did after learning the truth about air filtration issues. In short, the K&N will flow _slightly_ better but allows a lot more dirt into the cylinders. The only benefit for K&N is if you like to get serious about competing at the track, put on headers and high flow exhaust and maybe do some other things like cam etc and don't care as much about engine longevity. If you do care about dirt getting in or don't plan to mod the hell out of your engine, then a stock filter is the way to go.

You'll have to see if you can unclog or if you have to replace.

No part available?

Rears take forever to wear compared to fronts. Just keep an ear out for the tell tale sound and IMMEDIATELY inspect and replace when you hear it. Also periodically inspect as practical.

Leaking but not squirting or oozing. The least flow rate you can get and still be leaking I think. Oh and not gushing or spraying either.

Ah ok ok. Get the brakes done ASAP! I also would have a competent mechanic determine cause of leaks and suggest repairs and advise you on costs/urgency. As a general rule, any problem will eventually become bigger or beget more problems if left undealt with for too long.

Ah yes, the LS1. I have a line on nice cat-back if you are interested Geno. Let me know. Have a blast man!

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Bullshit. It will NOT. It WILL however, as SgtSilicone said, retard the timing a bit..not as much as you think, but a bit. They will run fine on the lower octane fuel. If they dont, you have other issues.

Reply to
aka-SBM

Legal issue. More areas than not..this one included, require that the driving lights (fog lights) turn off on high. Fix it? Sure. A relay and some wire.

SgtSilicone answered that one fine for you.

Depends. Goodyear or Firestones are what I run..normally Firehawks, but thats if you dont mind $150+ per tire. Pep Boys..yes..The Three Stooges...used to carry a Falkon in that size..for about $70..

Dealer..auto paint supply...

4th IS overdrive.

Do it yourself for about 40

Do it yourself for about 20

Seeping, is a nice way of saying leaking..its not a LEAK, as in, pouring out, but its got signs its had oil starting to come out..and some is normal...sometimes. BTW...a tiny amount of oil, will look like a huge leak at times.

Its a dust - trash shield...find one for about $2 in a salvage yard.,

Its not how much they get used...its the material they are made of. When the cars came out, they had rear brake issues..that was our #1 complaint in the department with warranty issues...and if it wasnt, it sure seems like it was. They use a softer material than the fronts, and they actually wear about the same as the fronts, time wise. Some people find it to be the opposite. Rear pad wear on those was VERY fast compared to others.They only do about 35% max of the braking, but see what was stated about the material. If you have the correct (factory brand) pads on it, they will wear very fast, and thats the way it was made to.

Reply to
aka-SBM

Well, had the dealership put my car under the knife so to speak today... turns out all 4 pads were shot, the rear rotors need turning, the front ones needed machining, and the left front caliper was shot.. alldone for $309 after employee pricing. Seemed to drive/stop better on the way home, so I'm happy.

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (Selling it soon :-( ) 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed no T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops
it out. 2002 Black Trans Am 5.7L LS1 auto w/T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

Even with the GM discount, thats not bad at all. I seem to remember the pads being about that retail back when the 4ths first hit the streets.

Reply to
aka-SBM

Welcome home, bro.

NOI

Reply to
noi

Thanky man...taken long enough eh? LOL

How the f*ck are ya?

Reply to
aka-SBM

Last week this time I was good. Then suddenly on wed my body decided to wig out on me. Complex story better not left in public. (Maybe on yahoo?)

You?

NOI

Reply to
noi

Busy as hell, altho the posting might not show it...LOL

Got a new bodyguard...Ill hit ya on Yahoo and let ya see.

Reply to
aka-SBM