1993 explorer manual no 3rd gear Help please

I have a 93 top loaded trans with no thied gear all other gears are fine but third is an open hole is it possible that I may hve lost a pin holding a fork or sonething like that?? One day I shifted into third and nothing was there! I dont think its the gears as there was no warning no grinding no metal in the sump! any help would be great. thanks Phil

Reply to
Phil

Hope this helps... M-5 has (I Think thats what you have) Aluminum Shift forks, they are easy (relativly Speaking) to change. You will have to remove the Tranny as I do not beleave you will be able to get the upper portion of the Tranny to fit through the Shifter hole. the shift assembly & forks lift out as one unit. You will see the fork for Third will probably be worn through. If I recall it uses 2 roll pins to hold the assembly snug.

Reply to
Frankenstien