1st and 3rd gears, will not go into gear help!

Hello all, I can not get my rail buggy to go into 1st or 3rd gear with out it grinding and the shift rod moving forward. This is a 5 rib tranny sedan

trany I was told. gear pattern is

1 3 N R2 4

I have removed the shifter completely from the rail and just used the shifting rod. I turned the rod slightly the left and then pushed it back. I let the clutch out and I hear a grinding and watch the rod move

forward. I tried to do this with 3rd gear and same result. I turn off engine and tried it again and same results. I tried to push on it really hard to get it to go into gear and no luck. I did notice that each time when I pushed the rod I saw that there was about 1/4 " left to still gointo the nose cone but did not move in any further. I am going to pull the shift rod off next and try to move it into gear but I fell that I will have the same results. I feel that it might be in the nose cone or some where. Questions: Can I take the nose cone off with out messing anything up and pulling the trany? Any one got pics on what it should look like inside the nose cone? i am thinking maybe something bent or blocking the hockey stick thing from moving all the way into the trans. Also R 2 4 gears all go into fine! Need to get this fixed by feb 3rd so need quick help on this.. I did a search on this problem but have not found anything that relates...

Some people say that engine and trany need to be moved forward. But with the shift rod free it still not going in.I don't think so. I will see if the trany and motor moved but by looking at the motor mounts.

Any help with this would be great!

Phill

Reply to
1967fastback

Yes, you can take the nosecone off if there is room. Any disassembly beyond that is a major projct.

A Bentley manual would be a big help, but in the meantime:

There will be a pic of each section (you can enlarge them too)

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Had that happen on my 72 beetle. Happens when you don't shift properly, force it or shifting too quickly. The hockey stick in the nose cone has slipped out of the groove of the shift rods (3 of them) so it doesnt pull and push them properly...( actually it pushes them in for 1st and 3rd) ... it would only go into 2 and 4 gear and reverse too i think. thats what the problem with mine was.

the fix was simple (ish), but took alot of work. Remove engine. take the tranny out. yeah, easy right? It is, but takes work. Then remove the nose cone. put the tranny in neutral and then put nose cone back on and check that it goes into all gears. To try to fix it with the tranny in the car would be a pain i would think

vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw dragenwagen

Reply to
dragenwagen

Here are the pictures of the trany. as you can see that the bar is not all the way in the tranny. I also was told that the engine and tranny could be back about an inch to far back. I looked at the mounting bolts to see if it was moved . It does not look that way. I did notice that when I tried to put it in gear the this little square box thing moved. the rod slide inside the box when I put some pressure on the rod. Is the little box bad? nylon bushing bad? I still need to disconnect the shift rod off and try to put it into gear then if it does not work ripe open the nose cone of the tranny to see if there is something blocking the hockey stick arms inside the none cone.

1967fastback

Reply to
1967fastback

it shouldnt from what I remember... so long as the nose cone is facing in an slightly upward position. Any one else want to pipe in on this one?

Reply to
dragenwagen