"Finding 3rd gear" on a CJ7

I was driving an 83 CJ-7 with a T-5 5-speed the other day and it the transmission worked very well, no grinding into gears, etc., except that sometimes it was hard to "find" third. When moving the shift lever up from second to third sometimes I missed getting it into gear and had to move the shift lever a little left or a little right to get it into gear. If I hit the mark, it went into gear effortlessly, but like I said, sometimes it seemed hard to find third. Vehicle has a little over 100k miles.

Question: is this a worn shifter or linkage (and easy to fix without removing the transmission), or might this be internal to the transmission?

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'm not sure what you're saying - do you have to go inside the transmission to fix this?

transmission?

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That sounds like my Jeep.

Once you get used to it, you almost never miss a shift.

I know mine has a worn out nylon bushing at the bottom end of my shifter. When I had it apart, no one sold that part so I just put it back without.

Mike

Jeff Scherb wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain