1994 Exploere loose front end

I am looking at a 1994 explorer as a second vehicle, the one I am looking at has 155,000 miles on it and the body and vehicle look ok. 2 things that stick out as problems are the clucth is very stiff (compared to most cars, I do have a 1989 bronco 2 that is not as stiff) and the front end is loose. the looseness (sp) seems to be wheel bearings not ball joints althought its hard to tell in a driveway. The truck has auto locking hubs so I am not sure if it is a quick fix. The clutch just seems very hard. Any input would be great. also how well do these hold up in the higher miles? I will pull a 2000 pound boat from time to time but not much. I have pulled the same boat with my bronco 2. Any help would be great.

Reply to
wayne

Wheel bearings in these vehicles that are adjusted according to the "correct" method often, in my experience, wind up very loose once driven a few miles. There is no reason you can't just tighten the adjustment nut for them a little tighter if, in fact, it is just looseness in the bearing adjustment and not actually worn out bearings or some other problem. Tightening it is fairly easy and straightforward, just be sure and pull the lock-key out with a magnet or pick before trying to turn the adjustment nut.

Reply to
AZGuy