2002 front hubs

I have a question I was wondering if anyone here could answer. I have a

2002 explorer. It has the automatic 4 wheel drive that is on all the time. The owners manual seems to indicate that the front hubs lock when power is applied to the front. It mentions something about hearing them engage. I have never heard or felt mine engage even when I have switched it into full time 4 wheel drive. I had the front of the car jacked up over the weekend and noticed that if I turned the front wheel, the axle also turned. If the hubs unlock properly shouldn't the front wheel spin without turning the front axle? Is there an easy way to check if it is working properly. Is this normal?

Thanks

Dale

Reply to
Dale

The hubs on your Ex don't unlock.... there is, however a locking device on the right hand axle tube that is operated by engine vacuum. I'm not a big fan of "hearing" 4X4 things engage.... it usually means that metal is being tranferred to place I don't want it.

Engage full time 4 wheel drive and drive a few feet.... jack up one front wheel. You should only be able to turn it slightly - maybe one or two inches of rotation measured at the outer edge of the tire.

Jim Warman

Thanks!

Reply to
Dale McGary