2003 Explorer - cracked rear lift-gate

I am new to the group and am unsure if this question has been asked before. If it has, please accept my apologies in advance and direct me to the previous thread on this topic. I used the remote to open the rear lift gate on my Explorer last night. While opening it, I noticed a crack about 1/8 in. wide and running from the base of the rear windshield all the way straight down to the bottom of the lift-gate. My car has 38,000 miles on it and I'm being told that my Extended Warranty won't cover it either. What is my recourse? Has anyone else experienced something similar to this? Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks. Kannan

Reply to
kannan_ram_srini

It's a factory recall on the 2002's...contact your Ford Dealer and be NICE.....bet they honor it.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

The liftgate hinges are a safety recall.... I don't recall seeing anything other than TSBs (no extended warranty) on the liftgate lower valance. It is extremely rare to see recall campaigns on anything not safety related. He might enlist the help of the salesman that sold him the car to see if he can get it AWA'd. (After Warranty Adjustment).

Reply to
Jim Warman

Same problem happened to me with my xlt 2002. Will inform the dealer at my next visit. Let's keep each other informed on the progress of this issue.

Thanks,

Francois.

Reply to
Francois

window/door. The dealer replaced it at the same time they did the hinges and the gas strut brackets at no charge. It took them 3 days as the panel comes from the factory unpainted. looks like new again. They say this is happening to other models too, usually right above the "Ford" emblem.

Reply to
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

I too have this problem, but my dealer won't fix it (even though they admitted many other people have had the problem). They want to charge me $500 and tell me if I don't fix it, the windshield might fall out!

Is there any way we can all get together and force Ford to fix what is obviously a design defect? Any ideas or hints on getting them to fix it for us? Thanks.

Reply to
izzyoen

The liftgate bracket broke on my 94 Explorer. I brought it in after a recall on that problem expired, but the dealer fixed it for free anyway after calling Ford and determining that it was a safety issue.

I had a different problem but it sounds like your issue may be more dangerous/ more of a safety issue. Maybe try another dealer -- they may just need to contact Ford to get it authorized. Hope that helps, Herb

Reply to
herbpatterson

"jjk" wrote: > I too have this problem, but my dealer won't fix it (even > though they > admitted many other people have had the problem). They want to > charge me > $500 and tell me if I don't fix it, the windshield might fall > out! > > Is there any way we can all get together and force Ford to fix > what is > obviously a design defect? Any ideas or hints on getting them > to fix it > for us? Thanks.

Just happened about a month ago. 2002 Explorer, vertical crack about

5 inches to the left of the Ford emblem.
Reply to
MizzouGuy