91 Explorer Trans XLT

I had reported a couple months ago that my 91 Explorer auto trans was slipping.

I changed the filter and added new fluid and it seems to fix the problem after it gets hot.

In the morning when I first start it up and it gets going it slips as it nears 2nd gear. After I manually select the gears, get it on the freeway and it warms up, it seems to be fine after I get off the freeway. I can stop at lights, go through operating speeds and it does not slip.

I haven't been driving it lately because I think its only time until it is "Found On Road Dead". Someone told me in this forum to ultimately expect that.

I think for a rebuilt trans it will cost me anywhere between $1200 and $1500 if I am lucky. The whole car itself was bearly worth that value when the trans was working because of its age, so I am hesitant to spend the money on it.

What I'd like to do is get a trans from another Exp where the engine bummed out, but the trans was functioning. I'd like to spend a couple hundred bucks for it, and swap them out myself. I think that then would be a decent value.

Anyone know where I can find such a mess? Any other comments?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Hill

So far it seems that just about everyone's Explorer (at least 91-94) transmission had to be replaced. I had Ford do my '92 and it cost about $2700 (they did the U-Joints too). I had a small, independent transmission place do my '91. The first one they put in there slipped so bad they had to tow it back to the shop. The second one was put in over a year ago and so far it seems fine. The small shop warranted my rebuilt transmission but since they went out of business it is of little value. I suspect they may have gotten my transmission from Pick-A-Part.

If you are lucky enough to find an Explorer with a good trans and a bad engine it may only be a matter of time (most likely a small amount of time) before the transmission goes out again. I would suggest paying the big bucks and having it replaced/rebuilt by someone who has been in business for a long time.

My personal feeling about Explorers is they are the first cars/trucks I've ever owned that I think are worth keeping, possibly forever. Mine have needed a lot of repairs but the engines, frames, bodies, etc are all still in great shape. If an engine goes I will probably replace it. If you choose not to fix the Explorer what are you going to buy instead? $1500 won't go very far unless you are putting a down payment on a new car.

My Explorers are probably worth about $3000-$4000 each (when they are running). They are both 4WD and I live in Southern California where everything costs more.

Reply to
Ulysses

Our 92 Sport has the original tranny in it (auto). About 175K miles.

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

If you have ruled out any simple inexpensive mechanical fixes... before you invest lots in a rebuild or used one try one of the many "automatic transmission seal conditioner" at the local auto supply store. The symptoms you have are sometimes the result of the internal seals (large O-rings) no longer sealing well due to wear and hardening. As the transmission warms up and the seals get warmer they soften and expand and start to seal again. When they don't seal well you can't build up pressure in the clutch packs and you get slipping shifts while it trying to build pressure with all the leakage past the seal. The snake oil in a can seal conditioners soften and swell the seals making them seal better again. I have used this stuff in many vehicles and it has never caused a problem and most of the time improves the shift quality. The worst case is it doesn't help in which case you are no worse off then you are now. The best case is that it restores the seals and you get several more years out of it.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Go to an auto salvage yard. The yard near me has a 30 day warranty on automatic transmissions. Ask around.

Regards,

Richard

Michael Hill wrote:

Reply to