opinions on a lift kit

Looking at a 3" lift kit from Maco Offroad products. It is 4 add-a-leafs for each corner. Pros and Cons please.... It is going on a '90 wrangler

Thanks, John

Reply to
John D

A complete brand new Mako Offroad 3 inch budget lift for a Jeep Wrangler YJ model. It comes with 2 add a leafs and center bolts for the front and 2 add a leafs and center bolts for the rear. You can reuse all of your stock parts and be able to fit larger tires on your Jeep. Later you can add shackles or a body lift to this and go even higher. This is the perfect entry level kit for your Jeep and easy to install in about 2-3 hours with normal hand tools. With over 100 of these kits sold it is a proven kit. So what are you waiting for get it today.

Reply to
John D

Hi John,

Add-a-leaf (AAL) kits are cheap and easy, but they put stress on your stock leafs and cause them to sag sooner than they otherwise would. Some AALs are 'long leaf' and some are short. Short AAL are really bad. Note also that your original stock leafs are probably already sagged out after 14 years and thus you will not attain the advertised 3" lift by adding leaves.

You can go with AAL to see if you like being lifted and then throw it away when you upgrade after your springs are shot. Get a local spring shop to re-arch your stock springs before you add leaves.

Better yet, do more research and set your final target instead of wasting money on an upgrade path with throw-away components. First, what size tire do you want? How much suspension lift is required to clear the tires? Avoid body lifts. Regearing is desirable when increasing tire diameter. Thought about lockers? Some stock axle components aren't suited to big tires. Speedometer may need to be recalibrated. Driveshaft replacement or t-case drop sometimes required with lift. Longer shocks required. You may need to lower your track bar bracket. Extended bump stops likely required. You might want a dropped steering arm. Brake lines may need to be extended or relocated. Many little details are easily overlooked when planning your first lift.

Get a kit that replaces your springs and comes complete with all/most required suspension components:

Search net for best prices.

Lifting is expensive. Using incomplete kits with cheap components makes it more expensive.

Steve

John D wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for the info... I am new to the jeep scene.

I do plan on putting 31" tires on it. I guess I will start there. I want a smooth ride.

add-a-leafs

Reply to
John D