95 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer intermittent start and alarm problems.

Hello,

I am trying to get a few ideas on what I can check for this problem. My Explorer has began to not start from time to time. It does not seem to matter if it is hot or cold. It may go weeks and not mess up at all, then out of the blue will not crank. Either it cranks and goes dead immediatly after cranking, or just clicks. We replaced the ignition switch under the dash, and thought that had solved it. A week later though, and it would not crank again. I can try it later on, and it will crank. It was not cranking at all, and we swapped the relays, which made it crank.

When we were installing the ignition switch under the dash a month ago, the anti-theft alarm started going off for some reason. It has not went off since though. I was sitting in the house last night at 10:30, when the alarm starts going off for no reason. No keys in the switch, the doors were not locked. There was no reason the alarm should be going off.

After driving the truck for a mile or so the check engine light will come on. I took it to the Ford place, and they say that the PCM is not communicating. They want to quote me $350, just to check the wiring and see why it is not communicating. Then I guess once they find that out, charge me some more to fix it. I am just trying this post out of desperation to try and avoid having to pay them all that. If it is something to do with the alarm causing the problem, I would just as soon disconnect the alarm.

I hope this was not too long, and that I covered everything it is doing. If you need to know something else, please ask.

Thank you very much, Eugene

Reply to
jedbase

First thing - check the battery, battery cables, and battery cable connections. Don't just look at the battery cables and a assume they are OK. They have been know to corrode and fail inside the insulation.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White