240 door handle mechanism...

More likely the pin that connects the handle to the mechanism is egged out (I've seen 'em bad enough that they fall out). Easy to replace, good as new.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

the car: '89 240 wagon the problem: The outside handle on the drivers door is getting a little "loose". That is, there more play in it than in the others. I checked inside the door, and it doesn't seem to be in the linkage, so I'm guessing that over the years, the metal in the hinge of the handle has just worn away slowly.

Of course, the other 3 door handles are still pretty firm, since they don't get anywhere near the use that the driver door gets. I was wondering if the handle mechanism for the two left-side doors would be the same? That is, could I swap the left rear handle to the left front, and get a few more years out of it?

parrot33 at hotmail dot com

Reply to
Perry Noid

I had the same problem on a 240. The rivet that holds the handle to the base wears out. Now it's been awhile but I remember getting the rivets from the dealer. I suspect that if you pulled the handle and looked at the rivet, probably the right-side one, you'd find the problem and a trip to a a decent hardware store would yield an acceptable rivet. A vice to hold the mechanism and a ball-peen hammer to round off the rivet end and you're back in action.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

One day recently, I pulled the driver's door handle on my '90 240 DL and it came right off in my hand. I had to go around to the passenger side to open the driver's door. Here's how I fixed the problem in about 45 minutes.

The handle is held in by 2 retaining screws. Mine had fallen out and were lying in the bottom of the door. Sounds like yours are just loose.

Safety step 1: disconnect your negative battery cable.

To remove the door panel, start by removing the handle, window cranks (if applicable) and door pocket screws. The handle screws will likely be found behind a plastic plug. If you have crank windows, there's a screw in the "axle" of the crank, behind a small plastic door. For power windows, you'll need to remove the button assembly (it slides out sideways), after you have removed the handle and disconnected any wiring plug(s). Once screws are removed from the bottom of the door handle, the top is removed by rotating the entire door handle counter- clockwise 90 degrees.

There are 3 plastic "screws" underneath the door pocket at the bottom. Be careful with these, they break easily.

Once all handles and screws are removed, slide a screwdriver or putty knife under the edge of the door panel and apply gentle presure outward to "pop" loose the retaining clips. Repeat around both sides and the bottom of the panel until it is free. Lift the panel straight up to remove it from the top (near the window opening). Disconnect any wiring clips, if applicable, and remove the door panel. Then peel back the plastic film to access the inside.

Your handle retaining screws will be clearly visible and probably only need tightened. Test it before you put everything back together.

Reassembly: Replace plastic film Plug-in any door-lock wires and push power window plug (if applicable) throught the opening in the panel hang panel from the top of the door push in along the sides and bottom until each clip "pops" back-in replace black plastic screws at bottom of door-pocket For power windows insert button assembly insert top of door handle and rotate clock-wise 90 degrees until screw holes align. Plug-in window switch Replace door handle screws and plugs. For manual windows, replace crank handle Re-attach battery cable

All done!

Reply to
vicjagger

Disconnect the battery cable? To fix a door handle? Why? I would think it more risky to fiddle with the battery than to just leave it alone, of course either option is probably less risky than walking down the stairs to go out the front door of the house.

Reply to
James Sweet