97 sohc EB Speedometer question

I hear a noise that sounds like a speedometer going bad. is the speedometer electical or is there a cable that could be going bad? anyone ever come across this problem? thanks for any info you can offer.

Reply to
Ryan

My speedometer/odometer do not work. I have a 1997 Ford Explorer EB edition. The dealership is unable to locate the problem. I've been told it is electric. They have tried to replace the brake sensors in the rear but they did not help. The speedometer would work for the first 10-15 minutes then, it would just go down to 0, while driving. I am very fustrated because I have taken the vehicle in 3 times this year to work on the problem. Let me know if you hear anything.

Thanks, Reta snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net

Reply to
Rparker

The dealership is unable to locate the problem. I've been told it is electric. They have tried to replace the brake sensors in the rear but they did not help. The speedometer would work for the first 10-15 minutes then, it would just go down to 0, while driving. I am very fustrated because I have taken the vehicle in 3 times this year to work on the problem. Let me know if you hear anything.

Take it to a different shop. Obviously, the one you're using doesn't know what it's doing.

Reply to
Bill Funk

The speedometer on the '97 uses a mechanical cable to either the transmission or the transfer case (I forget which). Where it attaches is a gear which is chosen for the particular wheel/tire size you're truck has. I am surprised the dealer doesn't know this.

Reply to
Vic Klein