AC roaring

I have a 2003 Explore Sport w/ 98,000, and jus ttoday, my AC started making a loud roaring sound(I had it on high), and it goes a little lower when I turn the fan down. Is the compressor getting ready to go out(it gets used a lot here in Austin,TX)? Thanks. FM

Reply to
Frank Mancuso

Is the roaring sound coming from the blower or compressor? If its the blower, it could be a foreign object stuck in the blower unit, like a piece of paper or something. Or it could be the blower motor is defective. The blower and compressor are 2 seperate units, they are independent of each other. So if the blower died it would not affect the compressor.

Reply to
Mikepier

Could it be in MAX mode? That opens an intake door inside the car, which is very noisy.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Moorman

It sounds like the blower, since my AC is still working. Can I access the blower unit? Thanks. FM

Reply to
Frank Mancuso

It looks like it's sealed. Any ballpark estimates for a new blower? I had the compressor replaces last March with a(supposedly) new one as a result of an accident. It seems like it should not be worn out.

Reply to
Frank Mancuso

Check to see if you have a cabin air filter on your explorer, it might be clogged and will make the fan noisy

Reply to
Mike

Just so you know Explorer Sport and Sport Trac don't have cabin air filters

Reply to
monkeyboy via CarKB.com

Sqeeze the sides of the glove box compartment so the stops clear and drop it down you can see the air intake grill put the ac on max and the door will open and you can see the blower wheel turn the key off if it's on and you'll be able to see if there's any foreigh material in the blower wheel. alot of times is just a plastic bag right at that grille. If it's something in the blower wheel get some mechanics fingers to fish it out

Reply to
monkeyboy via CarKB.com