Bad Experience With Ford Warranty

Hello,

I recently had a bad experience that may not be newsworthy, but I feel a need to share it. This experience has taught me a valuable lesson about which automobile manufacturers to avoid.

I purchased my 1996 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4 in 1996 so I would have a reliable car while moving my family around the country while serving in the Air Force.

I have maintained the vehicle meticulously since taking possession. I have changed the oil regularly, monitored the fluids, etc. I have taken the truck across the country several times during transfers and while on leave.

On 08/04/04 the overdrive light started blinking on the instrument cluster. I took the car to my Ford dealer in San Antonio, TX who advised me to install a rebuilt transmission which I agreed to. The bill was $2,635.81. I was told the new transmission was covered by a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. The truck mileage was 167,701.

On 04/04/05 the truck started smoking and all of the transmission fluid leaked from the transmission. I took it to the Ford dealer in Baton Rouge, LA and they replaced the transmission with another rebuilt transmission from Ford. The truck mileage was 180,772.

On 06/20/05 the truck started smoking and leaking transmission fluid. I took it to Walker Ford who diagnosed the problem and determined that the transmission radiator was faulting causing the transmission to overheat. The advised me to replace the radiator and transmission, but it would not be covered under warranty because the radiator is not covered under the warranty. The truck mileage was around 185,000.

I feel this is completely unacceptable. I contacted the central Ford customer relations department without satisfaction. The least I can do is warn current and potential Ford owners that Walker Ford and corporate Ford does not honor their warranties.

Thank you for your time.

Mike Jarrells

Reply to
jarrells