79 CJ5 ball joints

Hello all

I am going to replace the ball joints on my CJ5 (79), I have the style where the ball joints are 'upside down' (compared to all the write ups I find online) and mine uses the ball joints that have a sleeve that needs to be taken out with a spanner socket.

Wild guess, but instead of a ball joint remover/installer tool I better have the ball joints pressed in with a regular press at a machine shop since the ball joints are pressed in the knuckle ?

To take out the sleeve, I need a 'spanner' socket. The Jeep is a 79, they were probably never replaced and rust works better than locktite.

How much fun is it to take the sleeve out ? Better soak them in something for a good while? Can I use an air impact gun to take them out ? (Or do I screw up the sleeve/tool when using an impact gun ?)

thanks,

Ron

Reply to
csdude

L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Hi Bill,

the first setup looks exactly like mine. I did see the second link before.

(sounds like it's better to use a quality tool instead of the harbor freight version though)

thanks for the links !

Reply to
csdude