VIN # vs. engine serial # -- any correlation ?

I'm looking at a '99 Subie that a guy is selling and he has stated that he replaced the engine. I'm concerned that he is not telling the truth because he says that he has lost the paperwork that shows that he bought & had the rebuilt engine installed.

I want to know is there any correlation between the VIN # and the stamped engine number so that I can look at the engine and be able to see whether the engine in the car is actually the original engine.... ie. are there any numbers on the stamped (EJ22) engine number that are the same, or can be shown to be the same (in order to prove that this was the original engine).

I seem to recall that (in the olden days) some US motorcycles & cars had the same numbers on the engine stamp that were the same as a few sequential numbers from the VIN # (or that had a readable & discernable code).

Reply to
X--Eliminator

Not an expert, but... my understanding is that cars built in the last couple decades heve the VIN number stamped in the major components, including the engine, to identify valuable parts that might get funnelled through "chop shops." I don't know where the markings are, though.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Contact

and ask the question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Edward Hayes

replacing an engine in a Subaru...? Don;t buy it!

Wilco

"X--Eliminator" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Wilco van Diest

It could have been hit.

Reply to
Bonehenge

I think a CARFAX would be a cheap and easy way to tell if it's been lost, stolen, damaged or otherwise. A '99 shouldn't need a new engine unless it's got a ton of miles on the clock or was in a wreck. For cheap price of a carfax report it is a world of "peace of mind".

Alternatively, call the guy's shop who supposedly did the repair and he should have it on file somewhere perhaps.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

FWIW, I have limited faith in Carfax. It showed my daughter's Honda used to be a fleet car, although the title showed I bought it from the original owner, a private party who bought it new. Carfax also didn't mention that it had been stolen and recovered, as the owner admitted.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

A friend was tossing a lot of faith into carfax... I gave him the VIN to two cars of mine -- both junk yard recoveries.... ie: Salvage Titles.

One was in a wreck so bad, it was easier to cut the frame & re-weld most of it. The other was rolled & was part of a drunk driving, vehicular homicide investigation.

Both these cars showed up as clean titles.

A BMW I just bought would show me as the 2nd owner, however, I have contacted 3 of the owners.. so; I'm at least the 5th owner (didn't talk to original owner & there may have been another person in the line).

My take on carfax is this:

if it shows an accident, it probably was in one. if it shows clean -- then do more investiagation.. We used carfax for the BMW purchase only to verify millage... it was pretty acurate.

Josh Assing

like I said... if it shows an accident then it's a pretty sure deal.... same goes for stolen. if nothing shows, then you are out $10 and keep investigating. I believe in taking the path of least resistance.

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

Skip all this messing around and losing sleep. Skip this car as it sounds like headache and find another with a clean record.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I agree with your take on Carfax. It's not infallible, it's just one tool among many (your eyes are probably the best tool) that should be used.

As far as the original poster's question, you should follow-up with the repair shop where the engine work was performed. If they have no service records, I'd pass on that car. Owners that aren't careful enough to keep service records probably aren't that careful with service. There are enough 98's and 99's out there worth buying that you can afford to walk away from this one.

Reply to
lkreh

I wouldn't necessarily walk away from this deal as others have recommend. This car may have had the shortblock replaced due to piston slap that affected the '99 DOHC engines very commonly. If that is the case, then I would consider the "engine replacement" a definite advantage!!

Reply to
DG